Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Vanilla Coffee Bean Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soak them and the vanilla beans in a decent bourbon, it adds a nice flavor.

So I brewed this recipe again but did not do the coffee beans because I just wanted a light beer for a wedding I was brewing for. So I did 10 gallons of it plus 10 gallons of a zombie dust clone. Brewed as the original recipe I posted made an excellent cream ale. Very tasty with the simcoe hop addition. Both beers were sucess and everyone who tried them had very positive feedback for me.

Just a heads up to everyone who's still following this thread. I used the info from some posts here and did something a bit on my own, and it came out FANTASTIC! One of the easiest beers to make, and one of my biggest hits yet. I partial mash, so you can scale up for AG by subbing my Pilsen DME with Pilsner malts.

Vanilla Coffee Blonde
5.25 Gallons

4lbs Pilsen DME
1.5lbs Wheat
1lb Pale 2-row
0.5lb Carapils

1oz Willamette @ 60mins
0.5oz Simcoe @ 15 mins

1tsp Irish Moss @ 15 mins (or fine with gelatin during kegging)
2oz WHOLE BEAN Coffee
2 Fresh Vanilla beans

Safale US-05

I mashed at 150F for 60mins to get a thinner body. 4 gallon boil.

After fermentation died down significantly, I cold crashed it at 38 degrees and added the whole coffee beans and vanilla beans into the primary.

Taste everyday until you believe the coffee/vanilla have imparted a strong enough flavor. For me, it was just 2 days! Remember blonde ales are SUPER delicate and will take to just about anything you put in there.

OG - 1.048
FG - 1.008
ABV: 5.22%
IBU: 23
SRM: 3

coffee bean blond

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

06-A Light Hyrbid Beer, Cream Ale

Min OG: 1.042 Max OG: 1.055
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 20
Min Clr: 25 Max Clr: 5 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 16.00
Anticipated OG: 1.043 Plato: 10.77
Anticipated SRM: 3.4
Anticipated IBU: 60.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.1 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
93.8 15.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
3.1 0.50 lbs. CaraPilsner France 1.035 10

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00 50.4 60 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Pellet 12.00 9.9 20 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.00 Oz French Vanilla Coffee Whole Be Coffee 4 Days(fermenter)

Yeast
-----
US-05

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Notes

3oz of whole vanilla coffee bean to secondary per 5 gallons 4 days.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I made this recipe up because I wanted a nice light blonde with a coffee flavor for a summer brew. The very unique quality of this beer is it taste like coffee but is still blonde in color. This is why I choose to just add whole beans to the secondary. I would recommend using a 1 gallon paint stainer so you can pull the beans out after 4-5 days. I really don't think you will get much more off of the beans after 4 days or so but bitterness.

I brew 10 gallons but have 6 gallon fermentors. So I did 5 gallons with beans and 5 gallons without beans. I have the coffee bean one on tap right now and I am very impressed. The beer has a very large vanilla coffee forward nose. The taste is not overpowering on the coffee but balanced well with the blonde beer making it very smooth. You know there is coffee in there but balanced.

I tried the blonde without coffee when I keged it and I was very impressed with the tropical notes. I am sure it is from the hops I selected. It is not a heavily hopped beer because I was making a blonde not a pale. However, this may be the best flavored straight blonde I've tasted. Can't wait to get this one chilled and on tap.

Back to the coffee. This one is so well balanced with the coffee and malt it pretty much hides the tropical notes I get from the one without the coffee. These are both going to be great.

If you happen to brew please let me know your thoughts on this beer.

If you want just a good drinkable summer Lawn Mower beer try this with out the coffee beans as well. Nice smooth creamy drinkable light bear with fruit like under tones.

My Fiance and I were looking for an interesting coffee beer to brew around a month ago and I stumbled on this recipe. We decided to tweak the recipe a bit mostly for batch size, but I imagine it would be pretty darn similar. Also, instead of using French Vanilla coffee beans, we used locally roasted French Roast coffee and two vanilla beans. I was worried that the oily coffee beans would give us head retention problems and might not taste as good as I hoped. Boy was I wrong and happy to say that this is one of the best tasting, easy drinking beers that we've brewed. It's definitely NOT for people that aren't coffee lovers and I agree that this beer would taste excellent without the coffee beans as well. Below is our take on the recipe:

Frenchy Blonde:
-5 Gallon all grain (5.5 Gallons into fermenter)
Mash Efficiency: 77.8%
Original Gravity: 1.044
Final Gravity: 1.010

-----------------------
9 lbs 2 Row
8 oz White Wheat Malt
4 oz Carapils/Dextrine
2 oz Honey Malt
-----------------------
.63 oz Hallertauer [3.83%] boil 30 mins for 6.5 IBUs
1.05 oz Tettnang [3.46%] boil 60 mins for 12.7 IBUs
*note: left over hops from previous batches. I decided for lower IBUs
in keeping with typical Blonde bitterness.
-----------------------
California ale V (White Labs #WLP051)
*Fermented in the low 70s. (70-72)
-----------------------
After 1 week in primary, racked to secondary on top of
3 oz of French Roast coffee beans and
2 whole Vanilla Beans (cut open, fleshy inside removed,
whole bean chopped into smaller pieces and then added)
Racked beer into our keg 4 days later!

Just a heads up to everyone who's still following this thread. I used the info from some posts here and did something a bit on my own, and it came out FANTASTIC! One of the easiest beers to make, and one of my biggest hits yet. I partial mash, so you can scale up for AG by subbing my Pilsen DME with Pilsner malts.

Vanilla Coffee Blonde
5.25 Gallons

4lbs Pilsen DME
1.5lbs Wheat
1lb Pale 2-row
0.5lb Carapils

1oz Willamette @ 60mins
0.5oz Simcoe @ 15 mins

2oz WHOLE BEAN Coffee
2 Fresh Vanilla beans

Safale US-05

After fermentation died down significantly, I cold crashed it at 38 degrees and added the whole coffee beans and vanilla beans into the primary.

Taste everyday until you believe the coffee/vanilla have imparted a strong enough flavor. For me, it was just 2 days! Remember blonde ales are SUPER delicate and will take to just about anything you put in there.

OG - 1.048
FG - 1.008

I ran the numbers in Brewers friend recipe builder and they seem off from yours:

1.039 OG
1.008 FG
4.07% ABV

This seems really low. What I am missing?

Thanks!

Vanilla Coffee Blonde
5.25 Gallons

4lbs Pilsen DME
1.5lbs Wheat
1lb Pale 2-row
0.5lb Carapils

1oz Willamette @ 60mins
0.5oz Simcoe @ 15 mins

2oz WHOLE BEAN Coffee
2 Fresh Vanilla beans

Safale US-05

OG - 1.048
FG - 1.008

I ran the numbers in Brewers friend recipe builder and they seem off from yours:

1.039 OG
1.008 FG
4.07% ABV

What am I missing?

Thanks!

1.039 OG
1.008 FG
4.07% ABV

What am I missing?

Thanks!

My guess is that you didn't have the exacter parameters for my system. I partial mash with a 4 gallon boil, and top off to 5.25 in the fermentor. Here's a screen cap of what my recipe in brewer's friend looks like:

Vanilla Coffee Blonde.PNG

Bring back an old thread back to the top. Anyone do this one? I just started brewing again after a long amount of time off. My wife wants me to make this again.

Bring back an old thread back to the top. Anyone do this one? I just started brewing again after a long amount of time off. My wife wants me to make this again.

Looks good, I may have to brew this in the future. As an aside I brewed a vanilla/caramel flavored coffee stout a couple years ago, and for the coffee flavor I took whole, flavored beans, put them in a baggie and smacked them with a hammer just hard enough to break the beans into large chunks. I put those into a sanitized hop sack and whirlpooled them post-boil at around 175° for 15 minutes. Then cooled to pitching temperature. Primary for 3 weeks, no secondary. The last bottle was opened at 6 months and still had a nice coffee flavor.

Looks good, I may have to brew this in the future. As an aside I brewed a vanilla/caramel flavored coffee stout a couple years ago, and for the coffee flavor I took whole, flavored beans, put them in a baggie and smacked them with a hammer just hard enough to break the beans into large chunks. I put those into a sanitized hop sack and whirlpooled them post-boil at around 175° for 15 minutes. Then cooled to pitching temperature. Primary for 3 weeks, no secondary. The last bottle was opened at 6 months and still had a nice coffee flavor.

I got this one starting tomorrow morning. I will be brewing it 1st thing. My wife requested it so I am brewing it. I going to have a super hopped up citra/simocoe IPA and this on tap in at the same time.

Latest posts

Back