Cleaning plastic tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm not saying that a visual inspection will tell you with certainty whether there's a latent infection.

What I'm getting at is that if you've taken care of your tubing and have either washed it promptly and thoroughly after use, or have soaked it thoroughly in a good cleaner, it's probably fine to reuse. Making the (hopefully both reasonable and obvious) assumption that one is going to sanitize the tube again immediately before use, I think this is reasonable.

If there's a reason to think this isn't the case because of a scratch or some trub that's caked on and won't come off, then a surface sanitization before use isn't sufficient. It may not penetrate a scratch, or the trub may dissolve during racking and expose an unsanitized surface.

So if there's a reason to suspect that is the case, then replace the tube. If not, it's not much riskier than using fresh tube I wouldn't fault anyone for replacing tube more often than that, but I don't think it's necessary.

So is oxy clean good to use on pretty much all brewing equipment? Never tried it

It's an amazing cleaner...just mix with hot water for best results. Make sure to rinse a couple times after use...best with glass and plastic

Back