Fan/hood exhaust.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deprecated

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got 25'+ of duct to run to exhaust outside the house.

An option(?), I can run duct 3' horizontal and 3' down from my hood and be at the bottom of my utility sink.

Anyone care to comment on whether this is a viable option?

Sounds like you got lost if you wanted to go outside, but ended up under your sink.

I'm confused too. Are you saying either:
a) Discharge it under you utility sink - I think this would end up with a lot of moisture in this area
b) Discharge it into your utility sink's drain pipe - could have issues if you a using the drain for water at the same time, resticted flow to the sewer and smells/gas coming up from the sewer (exploding toilet anyone?)
c) Cut a hole in the wall behind your utility sink and vent it outside down low - no big issue just make sure the grate would allow anything to crawl back up and build a nest in there.

Rereading your post it sounds liek option b but not actually tied into the drain pipe, I would think you would end up with a little bit of each negatives from a & b.

Your option "b)" is what I was aiming for, mattd2.

I was hoping I could just connect an inline duct fan to the hood with a flexible dryer vent to push the condensation into the utility sink. Something that could be taken down and put out of the way after boiling.

Attached is a crude drawing of what I was thinking.

duct.jpg

If this is inside you probably want the hood to vent outside due to carbon monoxide, not only a moisture issue.

Good point, are you using gas or electric? Edit:Never mind, I type too slow!
I would think you would want to actually "connect" the duct to the sinks drain hole. That way you would be forcing the discharge down the drain and into the sewer (as long as there is not too much back pressure). Then just run the tap afterwards to fill the s-pipe up again.

Ejecting the exhaust fan into a drain won't work. You really need to get it run outside with a duct run the will move the appropriate amount of air. Your talking about a lot of moisture from each brew session building up in your house. If you don't want mold you need to exhaust enough air outdoors.

Sounds like an experiment needs to be run. Place a pot at the end of your duct run. If your BK boils off 1.5 gallons, and you capture 1.5 gallons in your pot, you're golden. If you only capture a quart, well...

Suggestions: Set fan speed to lowest setting while still maintaining 100% steam capture. Use all 25' of your duct. The closer your hood is to your BK, the less CFMs you have to draw. However, you dont want your hood so close that it heats up so much that steam will not condense on it. You want to maximize condensation inside the hood and the ductwork.

The only way you'll be successful in this endeavor is if you can condense all of the steam while it's in the duct. If its still vapor, forget about it.

Maybe investigate something more about the lines of what is used in the distillation process (e.g. coiled copper tubing).

The only way you'll be successful in this endeavor is if you can condense all of the steam while it's in the duct. If its still vapor, forget about it.

Maybe investigate something more about the lines of what is used in the distillation process (e.g. coiled copper tubing).

What about discharging the vapour into water (either just above or just below the surface) that should condense the steam into water - just don't know off the top of my head how much grunt the fan would need.

What about discharging the vapour into water (either just above or just below the surface) that should condense the steam into water - just don't know off the top of my head how much grunt the fan would need.

I think you'd be blowing a god-awful amount of bubbles doing that. And no guarantee of condensing.

This seems like it would be analogous to smoking a water pipe (a subject I am not an expert in but can imagine). How much of the smoke actually condenses when passing through the water? Not much, otherwise people wouldn't do it.

I think you'd be blowing a god-awful amount of bubbles doing that. And no guarantee of condensing.

This seems like it would be analogous to smoking a water pipe (a subject I am not an expert in but can imagine). How much of the smoke actually condenses when passing through the water? Not much, otherwise people wouldn't do it.

But smoke and water vapor are completely different animals. But you are right it would be bubbling a fair bit which would annoy me

There is an option. A few members have done it. I do not recall the actual design, but require a loop of tubing and a drain and maybe even cooling water to condense the steam. Maybe search for ventless exhaust or something like that

Back