All American Amber recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumbo_tron

Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a few extract batches under my belt and recently did a BIAB batch and now I am stepping up to a cooler MLT and will be doing a single batch sparge. This is my first recipe I've put together. My goal is to make an Amber with all American ingredients. Not looking to make any kind of clone here just an enjoyable amber. Comments and ideas are welcome.

Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.75 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 13.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
16.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 13.84 qt of water at 163.3 F 152.0 F 70min

Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, 4.93gal) of 168.0 F water

If I were you I'd probably nix the carafoam, you already have plenty of crystal malt for good head retention. If you were adding it for more body, just mash 1-2* higher. To keep your OG the same I would just add another 8 oz of Munich. Aside from that little nuance, it looks like a very good and hoppy amber. I would imagine you'd almost have IPA amounts of citrus aroma from 2 oz of Centennial at 1 min, if that's not what you're looking for I'd drop it down to 1 oz. If it were me though I wouldn't change it, but I do love Centennial a little too much.

Hey thanks a lot for the reply phenry. I like the idea of getting rid of the carafoam. You hit the nail on the head I was adding it for more body. That will be one less ingredient to have laying around that I may not be able to use for a while too. I will also bump up the mash temp, I just left that where Beersmith put it but I think you're right it needs to be higher.
I think I will keep the 2 oz. of Centennial at 1 min., like you I love that surprise of citrus aroma when you first crack a bottle, only to get that awesome caramel flavor after the first drink. Just out of curiosity do you think that will push it out of the style too much. If you had to stick to the style would you reduce that quite a bit?
Thanks

I would just leave it where it is. If it comes off as too much for the style some aging should definitely help tone it down. I've only brewed one Amber so far and it used an ounce each of Willamette and Cascade at flameout, and it was the perfect level of aroma from that amount of those hops. Centennial is a little bigger in the nose though I feel, but there's only one way to really find out if it is too much.

Thanks phenry I think I will just try it, I still have some parts coming to finish up my equipment but hopefully I can get it goin within the week. Ill keep this updated on how it comes out thanks alot.

One more thing, I will be using a 10 gallon round cooler with braid for my mash tun single batch sparging. How does my schedule look. I'll be using 1.25qts per pound which is 13.84qts for the mash. Vorlauf, then drain first runnings, then add then add my sparge water 4.93 gallons, stir for 10 min., vorlauf and runoff the rest.
Should I use a higher ratio of 1.5qts for the mash and less sparge water or keep everything where its at now?

Back