Brewing in the Bay Area, California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rew

Reaction score
Howdy!

I've been brewing extract off & on since about 1995.

I brewed my first all-grain in July last year for the Sam Adams Longshot. One judges comment was, "This beer is seriously flawed". So, that's become my new tagline! I found this site while searching online for how I can improve my beers.

I've also tried my hand at wine. My family owns a vineyard in Kingsburg (California central valley), so fresh ingredients are easy to get; plus I can pick, crush, and press, so I have no one else to blame if something goes wrong.

Cheers!
Bob

Hello and welcome to the forums. I am just on the other side of the hill from you. It's always good to have new members.

Your first all grain went to competition? That's optomistic.:)

Yes, welcome! I love to see Bay Area folks in here... I'm in the East Bay so not far from either of you. BTW, I hope to one day receive accolades from a beer judge as you have!

Your first all grain went to competition? That's optomistic.

Yeah, well. In retrospect, I did a number of things wrong. A buddy of mine with all-grain experience was supposed to fly down from Portland to help me. He canceled, but I went ahead with it anyway. I have a fairly nice all-grain and brew kettle set-up (two 10 gal Gotts for mash and sparge, plus a converted keg for full wort boil). I've also entered my wine in competition (Orange County Fair bronze medal).

But I didn't anticipate such a large loss of heat when transferring water from brew kettle to mash tun and sparge container. Plus I bottled late -- just 6 days before the submission deadline; so they received some pretty green beer.

I'm in the East Bay so not far from either of you.

Where in the East Bay? I work in San Ramon.

Bob

Yo! What's up fellow bay area brewers! So, if there are more than three of us can we get a jacket made? JK! This has been one of the best communities on the web that I have come across! There is a wealth of information and a whole lot of people you have more and are willing to help.
I am just in the process of jumping into AG and getting my hands on some coolers as we speak. Hope to have it together for a maiden voyage next week. Well, enjoy your new home!

I am in Pleasant HIll, just next to more beer!

I envy your location. I'll be going there tomorrow around noon to pick up supplies for brewing on Sunday.

Stephen, I see your also into motorcycles and scuba. Clubman's All British Weekend is coming up in March; and if you can stand the cold water, Monterey's kelp forests are spectacular. You were probably pretty spoiled with all that warm water in Hawaii, though (I've been lurking for a little while, can you tell?)

If anyone wants to meet informally, I'm a regular at the San Jose Tied House. I have the #6 mug, so if you notice that the #6 mug is missing from the peg board, I'm there somewhere -- just ask the bartender for 'Bob'; they know me by name. I'm usually there on Fridays and I'll be there tomorrow evening with a small group of friends.

Bob

Back