Yards Tavern Spruce Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemaster

Reaction score
Hi All,
I 'm looking for a recipe for the Yards Tavern Spruce ale. I really enjoy it, and like any beer I enjoy want to reproduce it on my own. I searched the forum, but didn't find any hits.

I was thinking of making a basic scotch ale with a bit higher OG, then adding the spruce tips and molasses. I think a nice warm mash might help impart some sweetness as well.

What do you guys think? Has anyone tried to clone this one before?

:mug:

You should be able to find a recipe for this... I think there was some sort of a home brew contest based on the main ingredients prior to it going to into production at Yards.

Hey telemaster, did you have any luck with this? I'm interested in the recipe as well...

Hey telemaster, did you have any luck with this? I'm interested in the recipe as well...

I had no luck finding a recipe online that I was happy with. So I took the Brewing Classic Styles book and started going through it. I decided to go with the Scottish Export recipe. I used a spruce extract and poured a few glasses when racking to the keg and tried various percentages of extract in the 4 oz tasting glasses until I found a balance I liked. Then I just did some multiplication to see how much of the extract to add to the 5 gallon batch. It was close and I enjoyed the beer.

OG 1.040 - 1.054
FG 1.010 - 1.016
IBU 15-30
Color 9-17 SRM
ABV 3.9-5.0% (I want to shoot for 5-5.5%)

Boil 60 min
Pre-boil Volume 7 gallons

0.5 lb Munich
9.5 lbs Brittish Pale malt
Hops 1 oz Kent Golding

12 oz Molasses

Mash at 158

Nottingham yeast

Back