some help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobeer

Reaction score
Hi All,

First I want to say is that I am so happy to locate a board like this!! I have two questions to ask I truely hope they are not stupid ones, but I am new here so I don't really know yet. Now, my first question is this......I will be using the pepsi kegs for my homebrew....will hot water with white vinigear be enough to make my kegs sanitary?? I don't have any cleaning solutions in my area and was wondering if that would get me thru? Or is there any other way to do this? My next question is basically for my wife/freinds. Has anyone made up a keg using bottled coke and rye/whiskey? Can it be done? And what do you recommend the psi should be at? Also she loves her coolers......rasberry...has anyone done this using a punch and mixing in alcohol? Please bare with me, I know this is a home brew site, and my last question is not really along those lines, but for all those guys who are married or have a girlfriend...you understand that a happy wife is a happy life.

Vinegar will not sanitize your kegs. Order something online.

No reason you can't put punch or a cooler in a keg, 25 psi will probably do for pressure.

I'm not a beer expert, but as a winemaker I avoid vinegar at all costs! Even a little vinegar residue will turn wine into vinegar. Any container that has ever held vinegar is off limits in wine making. I don't think that's true in beer, but I don't think you'd like the taste it might leave. Vinegar is not a sanitizer anyway, so don't use it! There are arguments against bleach as well, but it might be safer. I would just go online and order $10 worth of sanitizer. It's so worth it.

I don't have any idea about the rest of your questions, so I'll leave those to other experts.

Lorena

Nope on the vinegar. I don't use bleach but I've read a lot of posts of guys that do. If you don't want to order something online then just use some household bleach.

Is there something that you can mix with citric acid to make a sterilizing solution? I can remember my Dad using it and it took your breath away!

Back