Adding cane sugar to boost ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joentuff

Reaction score
Ok I've only been brewing for about a year, and the guys I brew with were sitting around wondering if you could add cane sugar to the brewing to boost your ABV? May be a stupid question but I haven't seen it in any recipes that I have read. Thanks for any input you guys can give.

You haven't seen it in any recipes because it isn't the best way of boosting ABV. It will work, but it will also make the beer out of balance if you don't work it into the recipe, and there are better ways of making a stronger beer, like adding more malt.

you certainly can but it will take its toll on body and taste if you use a lot. some high gravity beers use like a pound in five gallons to get more dry

you certainly can but it will take its toll on body and taste if you use a lot. some high gravity beers use like a pound in five gallons to get more dry

I have used 15-20% before, but it was in huge belgian beers and it wasn't for a boost in alcohol, it was to make a drier beer.

Back