Electric keggle build help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I'm ready to start the process of switching over to an all electric system. I'm starting with an electric keggle. I want to use a 5500 watt 220 element and I need the correct controls to operate it. I've searched and read everything I can find on here and still am not sure exactly how to do the controls. I was hoping someone that has done this can point me to a build thread showing the control systems (pids, ssr's,heat syncs, switches) that I will nedd to do this. I want to start with this before I tackle a RIMS mash tun.

I'm close to ordering parts and was hoping someone could give their opinion on what I selected so far.

Lowes 5500watt element

Auber PID # syl-2352

Auber 40 amp SSR # RS1A40D40

Auber heat sync # HS40

Auber panel connector for thermocouple # TCCON

??? Auber thermocouple ??? I'm not sure what to get yet.
either
TC-K6 K-type 1/4 - 20 thread or TC-K100MMNPT liquid tight K-type 4 inch probe 1/4 NPT.

I was thinking of buying one of Bobby's sight glasses with a tee so I could screw the thermocouple in there. Does the probe length matter? I would have to get the second thermocouple because of the thread. There is a big difference in price though so maybe a 1/4 hole in the keggle would be cheaper and easier.

I also haven't picked any switches yet.

I'm close to ordering parts and was hoping someone could give their opinion on what I selected so far.

Lowes 5500watt element - a Ultra Low Watt Density (ULD) Element would be better to prevent scortching of your wort. I bought this one: Camco 2963. This site also has the best prices on dryer cords and 30/50AMP receptacles that I've found. You'll save enough money to make up for the shipping costs.

Auber PID # syl-2352 - I bought the 2362 and I think a lot of people are....it's a couple $ cheaper and now has the manual mode that you need.

Auber 40 amp SSR # RS1A40D40 - a lot of people are successfully using these Chinese SSRs that are MUCH cheaper. Be prepared to wait 3 weeks to a month to get them though.

Auber heat sync # HS40 - the Chinese SSRs come with the heat sinks

Auber panel connector for thermocouple # TCCON

??? Auber thermocouple ??? I'm not sure what to get yet.
either
TC-K6 K-type 1/4 - 20 thread or TC-K100MMNPT liquid tight K-type 4 inch probe 1/4 NPT. I went with the more expensive 4" RTDs because I also monitor/control my mash with them and they have disconnects built in (although it's not a panel mount). While you need a thermocouple/rtd connected to the PID it doesn't need to even be connected to the kettle if you are using manual mode. If you want something you can thread into an NPT fitting to monitor cooling temps, you could probably get away with the 2", but it's up to you. You probably already know the the 20 thread thermocouple will not thread into an npt fitting, I figured I'd point that out.

I was thinking of buying one of Bobby's sight glasses with a tee so I could screw the thermocouple in there. Does the probe length matter? I would have to get the second thermocouple because of the thread. There is a big difference in price though so maybe a 1/4 hole in the keggle would be cheaper and easier. I highly recommend Bobby's sight glasses. They are simple and well designed (and come with calibration numbers).

I also haven't picked any switches yet.

PM me if you have any questions. I'm putting the finishing touches on my electric bk, and I did a ton of research on pricing because I'm super cheap and on a budget ;).

Hey Nyer, don't mean to hijack your thread here but it's perfect timing for me, that i found your post. I'm in the process of getting my own brew rig put together, and was all set on going the propane route, but have been reading more and more on the electric setups and now don't know what way to go. What made you change your mind? and for a new home brewer what are your feelings on what to start with? propane or electric

Thanks in advance for the input

Hey Nyer, don't mean to hijack your thread here but it's perfect timing for me, that i found your post. I'm in the process of getting my own brew rig put together, and was all set on going the propane route, but have been reading more and more on the electric setups and now don't know what way to go. What made you change your mind? and for a new home brewer what are your feelings on what to start with? propane or electric

Thanks in advance for the input

I started using propane tanks and quickly hooked up to my house propane after I ran out out halfway thru a boil one day. I decided to go electric for 2 reasons, I wanted to be able to brew in my basement during the winter. I brew in my garage in the summer and I got sick of how loud the propane burner is. I like to listen to the radio and have a few beers when I brew and the noise got old real fast.

Back