flux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopleaf

Reaction score
I soldered my manifold awhile ago and to clean the flux off I wipe it all when hot, then scrubbed it with oxyclean and bathed/scrubbed it in hot water/vinegar.

How dangerous is it if I didn't get everything off.. I scrubbed the crap out of it but I didn't use acetone or anything of the like and it's not shiny, perfectly squeaky clean like the copper was when I bought it.

Am i worrying to much? Can the char hurt me? There is no green corrosion on the parts as far as I can tell. I was going to give away a lot of this beer for the holidays but I obviously don't want to poison my family and friends...

I figure I'm OK but I had to ask... I don't want to RDWHAHB with.. ya know.. poison.

That stuff is designed to be used for residential water lines so I dont think you have anything to worry about.
boil it in some white vinegar/water for a half hour or so if you are still worried. That should remove anything that may contribute to off flavors.

I plumbed my house with copper and didn't worry about the flux. I just ran a little water to clear the lines. Did you use lead free solder? That is a bigger issue than the flux.

Back