Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. Good business plan & good location are keys to success above & beyond quality products & service. I def think a brewbq is a great idea who's time has come. Especially around here. Not really any bars in this burg,let alone a brewpub or the like. with easy access to RT90,Quaker Steak & Lube around the corner on the other side of 90,I could make a go of it on this side of the overpass. Money & location...

I have this tiny thought that cycles through my brain often:

Why not a brew pub/food place, (like a BBQ), that has a bunkhouse out back?

I'd call it the, "Throw 'em down, Chow and Bunk house". Or something close to that.

But the thought of the managing such a place stops me in my tracks. But I always wanted a, "Throw down bar and grill", when I was in my 20's, that had an on site bunkhouse. Instead of a coat check would be a key check. We keep yer keys until the next morning. When we say go to yer room you go and stay till morning. You can still drink in the room but you can't leave till morning. (Semi hotel California I guess). :D

But I always see the draw backs and go,.. "Naw, just a hassle in the end"

Now helping to hold a killer all day grill and chill with friends and family, that's more what I could handle a couple times a year. Plan ahead and I'll brew what we need. No huge crowds, just good friends.

pb

Neighbors wife did tell me that all my glasses are horribly dirty. She's a bartender at a BMC only dive bar. She saw us drinking some home brewed stout and there was a real nice lacing on the glass. She said if there's foam sticking to the glass we need to wash them better. :smack:

Did you laugh at her? And say, "Wanna be beer nerd!"

pb

I have this tiny thought that cycles through my brain often:

Why not a brew pub/food place, (like a BBQ), that has a bunkhouse out back?

I'd call it the, "Throw 'em down, Chow and Bunk house". Or something close to that.

But the thought of the managing such a place stops me in my tracks. But I always wanted a, "Throw down bar and grill", when I was in my 20's, that had an on site bunkhouse. Instead of a coat check would be a key check. We keep yer keys until the next morning. When we say go to yer room you go and stay till morning. You can still drink in the room but you can't leave till morning. (Semi hotel California I guess). :D

But I always see the draw backs and go,.. "Naw, just a hassle in the end"

Now helping to hold a killer all day grill and chill with friends and family, that's more what I could handle a couple times a year. Plan ahead and I'll brew what we need. No huge crowds, just good friends.

pb

Yeah,about the same here. It's a nice dream,but I am 57 & walk with a cane. It'd cost more for the help needed for that reason alone. Besides help normally needed to run the thing. I just wish my wife could still drink my beers with me. Let alone brew again. Life sure throws us a slider a bit too often.

Neighbors wife did tell me that all my glasses are horribly dirty. She's a bartender at a BMC only dive bar. She saw us drinking some home brewed stout and there was a real nice lacing on the glass. She said if there's foam sticking to the glass we need to wash them better. :smack:

Wow! I really don't think I've ever heard that before....and I worked bars way before craft beer was known other than towns in WI of size that still had their own breweries.
I thought the only requirement for a clean glass in a dive bar was no cigarette butt left in the glass......

Yeah,about the same here. It's a nice dream,but I am 57 & walk with a cane. It'd cost more for the help needed for that reason alone. Besides help normally needed to run the thing. I just wish my wife could still drink my beers with me. Let alone brew again. Life sure throws us a slider a bit too often.

I'm looking at 55 and still the,cock on the block, ... well, .. kinda. But, eff that dumb chit!

Maybe when I retire, I'll toy with that. So I got until 70 it so until I worry about that.

pb

I get a lot of the "you should open....." routine from the people that like my homebrew as well. It's a pipe dream.....but I won't ignore it.
I'd consider myself lucky to find the time to offer my services for some establishment in exchange for a tab :) I'd like the exposure to a larger scale. Maybe when I retire I will be lucky to make such an arrangement.......
I wouldn't start one from scratch regardless unless I had a marketing survey that was extremely slanted toward success. I'd prefer to buy into one and take it over gradually.....or just reap the rewards like some friends of mine in Cleveland do and get a menu item named for them:p

You would think in MSA of over 500K people, there would be more than BJ's.

Two are out on South Padre Island but that's 65 miles away and pretty much a vacation/retirement spot. One of them, the newest and best, is a Bar-B-Q/brew place....great guy with good brew and food.

That's a trite cliche parroted by inexperienced high school guidance counsellors.

The truth is if you try to make a living doing something you love, you'll end up hating it.

If you truly love something, keep it a hobby. Find a job you can tolerate, but pays really well.

If you hate what you do, then you should do something else. No one has a gun to your head forcing you to keep a job. Work feels a lot less like work when you like it.

That said I agree that as soon as you go pro, you're now dealing with the demands of other people. That would suck the fun, or at least the creativity, out of brewing. I would Keep it as a hobby.

I just got this tonight when giving a friend a glass of my Leffe clone. "This taste like real beer"

Good thing, it is real beer!

I get that but ... I'm still at the stage that *I*'m surprised that my beers taste like "real" beer.

I got that with some home-made ice cream once. The joy was my two other lunch companions felt the same about the comment and (gently) ridiculed him. He just dug himself deeper and we kept saying-- it's cream and sugar; how can it *not* be real ice cream.

I get that but ... I'm still at the stage that *I*'m surprised that my beers taste like "real" beer.

I got that with some home-made ice cream once. The joy was my two other lunch companions felt the same about the comment and (gently) ridiculed him. He just dug himself deeper and we kept saying-- it's cream and sugar; how can it *not* be real ice cream.

It's like you grilling up a burger someone says it tastes like a real burger.

TangoHotel said:
If you hate what you do, then you should do something else. No one has a gun to your head forcing you to keep a job. Work feels a lot less like work when you like it.

That said I agree that as soon as you go pro, you're now dealing with the demands of other people. That would suck the fun, or at least the creativity, out of brewing. I would Keep it as a hobby.

I would love to work in a brewery. If I ever get to a point in life where I can afford such a pay cut, I'm there. Of course, I'll be in my 50's then.

I would love to work in a brewery. If I ever get to a point in life where I can afford such a pay cut, I'm there. Of course, I'll be in my 50's then.

If it were a R&D position, where I brew new recipes to try, I think it would be fun. That way I have some of the creativity that I like during brewing. I would imagine mass producing a light lager or ale by sitting behind a computer and managing ingredients vs. Interacting with them would lose its luster quickly. Maybe it's just me.

A buddy of mine worked for bud, and he said it was great until he had to clean out a 50000 gallon fermenter filled with beechwood chips and knee deep in yeast.

TangoHotel said:
If it were a R&D position, where I brew new recipes to try, I think it would be fun. That way I have some of the creativity that I like during brewing. I would imagine mass producing a light lager or ale by sitting behind a computer and managing ingredients vs. Interacting with them would lose its luster quickly. Maybe it's just me.

A buddy of mine worked for bud, and he said it was great until he had to clean out a 50000 gallon fermenter filled with beechwood chips and knee deep in yeast.

I should have stipulated, only one of the local breweries, nothing big.

chezhed said:
I get a lot of the "you should open....." routine from the people that like my homebrew as well. It's a pipe dream.....but I won't ignore it.
I'd consider myself lucky to find the time to offer my services for some establishment in exchange for a tab :) I'd like the exposure to a larger scale. Maybe when I retire I will be lucky to make such an arrangement.......
I wouldn't start one from scratch regardless unless I had a marketing survey that was extremely slanted toward success. I'd prefer to buy into one and take it over gradually.....or just reap the rewards like some friends of mine in Cleveland do and get a menu item named for them:p

You would think in MSA of over 500K people, there would be more than BJ's.

Two are out on South Padre Island but that's 65 miles away and pretty much a vacation/retirement spot. One of them, the newest and best, is a Bar-B-Q/brew place....great guy with good brew and food.

I QA listening to the "live at white labs" brew strong episode a few nights ago. The brewer at a local SD place talked about how he went and got a business degree to make lots of money. The white labs employee said, with great dry sarcasm "so you opened a brewery" and lots of laughter ensued. It's a great dream, but there is a ton of labor, it's short money, and you won't make a lot unless you're BMC (love em or hate em, they make mad dough).

Last time I heard this (open a brewery), i said the following "if you can find me 200 people to put in 1k, with the potential of getting 1k back in beer, I'll consider it." If it ever happens, i may open a brewery. Otherwise, I'll stick with the day job.

SteveHeff said:
I don't like how some people think that just because you homebrew, you're always willing to give some away. I brew beer that I like to drink. I certainly don't mind sharing, but you have to throw something my way every now and then. A few dollars every 12 pack or so would help with the time and money involved in the whole process. If you borrow a friend's truck to move some furniture, you make sure to fill the tank before you're done. Just the way I think it should be.

Good point! That's more of a compliment or the reality of cheap freeloading friends! No middle ground! Lol

MaddBaggins said:
I should have stipulated, only one of the local breweries, nothing big.

Our local brewpub has a competition every year. The owner and his panel of judges taste our homebrews and the maker of the favorite gets to brew a batch on the pub's system. I'm told that crawling in the mash tun to shovel out the spent grain, still hot after a mash, isn't as much fun as it sounds.

Clonefan94 said:
I'm not even quite that strict. My friends know thought that the simple rule is if you want to drink my homebrew, come to my house, I'm always willing to drink beer with someone. I have some small kegs that I will bring to a large party, but that's just because I'm at the party as well. It's kind of my "Bring a side dish" item.

I don't always follow these rules. If I am only having a few people (3-4) I don't enforce the bring something. Most likely in those situations that means you are part of my "crew"/good friend/fellow home brewer, therefore you can drink.

I don't make huge batches and I don't keg (yet...) so I typically only have a handful of bottles chilled. My beer fridge rule is: if you take it out, you put another of the same back in. Unless its the last one, then you check with me. Not always, but normally, I "cellar" a few bottles the day I bottle. I have at least 36oz of 9 out of my 10 brews I have done so far. My first ones got a late infection (2months later to be more exact) and started exploding so those had to get dumped.

CBR250 said:
After my boss calculated the labour to make homebrew he decided that if my time was worth that little I'd be willing to be paid less by him! I kid you not, he was drinking a Coors Light when he was asking me about the cost and process!

My boss did a similar thing but then said:

"When are you going to start distilling, so I can have some whiskey?

I just let my friends help themselves to my beer. I just enjoy their company when they come over. They don't take advantage of the situation and I typically have gotten a number of free comercialy craft beers from them. However, I have thought about putting a tip jar on the keggerator to help fund future batches.

I have a friend who calls my homebrew (and all craft beer) "Yuppie Beer". I find that humorous because I picture most of you guys on this site as being Harley riding guys with beards, who make a living making stuff with your hands and enjoy fabricating brew stands in your garages, etc.

The irony is that I'm sure you Harley riding guys would consider me to be a "Yuppie".

Where I live I find that most brewers are a bit "techie" and even those that are not:::: like techie stuff...

We have lawyers, accountants, government workers, a few scientists and a bunch of IT types....

...as far as I know I am one of the few "riders" in the club and I ride a Suzuki Bandit...

DPB

We have lawyers, accountants, government workers, a few scientists and a bunch of IT types....

DPB

Don't forget teachers. At my school we have a brew group. As Far as I know, I'm the only one on HBT, though I've suggested it several times. Obviously outside of school...

Lot's of different types brew, I roasted coffee professionally for a long time, still do on some weekends. Now I'm a credit underwriter, how's that for yuppie? :)

Lot's of different types brew, I roastd coffee professionally for a long time, still do on some weekends. Now I'm a credit underwriter, how's that for yuppie? :)

We are homeroasters too. Been doing it for about 7 years now.
We're hooked on Java estate.

pb

Lot's of different types brew, I roasted coffee professionally for a long time, still do on some weekends. Now I'm a credit underwriter, how's that for yuppie? :)

That's pretty yuppie but I still think I've got you beat. On top of my profession, I own a Winnebago...a frigging Winnebago...and I'm only 40 years old.

Good stuff, we had Java Preanger recently. If you ever can get Bali, Flores or Sulawesi, go for it, I think if you like Java you'd like those. My favorites are Ethiopian, especially Harrar. Oh and then there's Guatemala, LOVE the Guat

Good stuff, we had Java Preanger recently. If you ever can get Bali, Flores or Sulawesi, go for it, I think if you like Java you'd like those. My favorites are Ethiopian, especially Harrar. Oh and then there's Guatemala, LOVE the Guat

We tried roasting Ethiopian every way we could and everytime it was terrible. Mrs. Bob even tried it at Starbucks and she couldn't stand it.

The worst coffee we've ever had, worse than Folgers!

pb --- I know, ...:off:

Paul_Aris said:
I just let my friends help themselves to my beer. I just enjoy their company when they come over. They don't take advantage of the situation and I typically have gotten a number of free comercialy craft beers from them. However, I have thought about putting a tip jar on the keggerator to help fund future batches.

+100 - I brew much more than I drink, so whoever likes the beer (and I can trust to give honest opinions) gets the beer.

Neighbor: so you brew your own?
Me: yep
Neighbor: can you make shine?
Me: no that's illegal
Neighbor: yes but could you?
Me: you do know there is a county sheriff that lives directly across the street from us, right? And No. I don't have the equipment.

I think people watch too much moonshiners on tv.

"I'll be your taste tester"
"can I buy your beer?"
"That's really cool!"

Usually they're all positive remarks or people trying to get free beer. I've even have people ask to come over during a brew day. Funny how everyone wants to stand around, drink your homebrew, and watch wort boil but no one wants to help you wash out the mash tun, or clean anything!

Back