Converting pre-boil OG to post-boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
Hi all - did my second (and very satisfying) AG brew this week, doing EdWort's famous HausAle. As it'd been almost 4 months since my last brew :( (another AG where I forgot to take an OG reading), I measured the OG pre-boil and was understandably concerned when it came out 1.027, when I was expecting in the neighborhood of 1.045. I threw in a couple of pounds of extra-light DME for good measure and the primary is rockin' away as I type.

Having come to my senses in the meantime and realizing I should've measured post-boil OG (d'oh), is there a means to convert pre-boil to post-boil OG? Of course I threw things off by tossing in the DME, but I'm still curious if I came close to the target.

6.75 gal of 1.027 --> 4.5 gal of 1.???

P.S. Thanks for the recipe & writeup, EdWort - all those Cascade hops smelled fantastic! My neighbor across the street said he could smell the boil from behind his house :rockin:

Thanks Orfy - as soon as I posted this it occured to me that magic of the internet (aka google) might help. Next time I'll save the trouble. I hate being rusty on this stuff - need to find a new extra hours a week to devote to the practice of brewing

Latest posts

Back