size of valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrivewayBeer

Reaction score
I want to ask advice on the size of the valves for my new big brewing rig. I am using three 55 gallon stainless steel drums and I am wondering if I should weld in 1" couplers instead of 1/2". I currently have a all 1/2" couplers on my keggle setup. I also own two march pumps. If I use the 1" couplers on the 55 gallon drums would the pumps still work? also there is the question debate of using the tri-clover fittings. Maybe just triclover fittings on the out of the boiler to keep the final product sanitary? Please weigh in if you have some experience! thanks

Do you have the March 809/815? The outlet on that model is 1/2", input can vary but if you have the centerline input it can take a 3/4" to help get another 0.5gal/min. Or are you talking about using two 1/2" pumps at the same time? IMHO it's more trouble than it's worth. It's going to take a long time to get it boiling so you won't be saving that much time. Heck, with an open top drum you could transfer the water faster with a bucket! :)

What kind of hose/pipe would use you with the tri-clover? The output on the BK is going to be sterile...

Hi. Thanks for the reply. My pump is a March 809. I wonder if I should upgrade to a better pump of if I will be able to get my with the 809. I have two of them, but one will the for the HLT to the Mash. And the other will pump from the mash to the boiler. As far as the Tri clover goes, I am not sure. I have never used the tri-clover fitting before but I was think of just using one, on the boil kettle output. I am not sure about the hose and pipe size for those. any recommendations? Thanks much

Back