Question about late addition DME...very late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drums09

Reaction score
Posted this in the recipe section, but it's more of a beginner brewing question...

So I followed the Blue Moon clone extract recipe (biermuncher) and have a question...

Recipe calls for 3# extra light DME and 1# dry wheat extract. My LHBS suggested I flip the ratios and try 3# dry wheat extract and 1# extra light DME. I did a full 5.5 gal boil.

So far so good... until I forgot to add the 1# of extra light DME. Did a 60 min boil.

I started to cool the wort with my chiller (made it to approx 100 degrees) then noticed the 1# of extra light DME still sitting on the counter. I quickly reheated the wort on stove (also have immersion heater). Brought it up to 160 pretty quickly, and held it for about 10 min. Then I re-cooled to 80, aerated and pitched my yeast. OG was 1.054. Fermentation started going nuts within 12 hrs.

Should I be concerned with this last-minute DME addition??

Totally fine. In fact a lot of people will wait till the end of the boil to add a good portion of their extract

Back