RIMS heater build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingsTab

Reaction score
So I have been reading RIMS for dummies and a few other threads about building a RIMS heater. Either I am losing my vision or am just confused; but I can't seem to find a good answer. I am going with a 240V 5500W camco heater element which requires a min. of 14" in diameter. I am ordering the 1 1/2 stainless steel fitting from Murrays. The issue for me is what length of nipple would I need to connect the tees with that size element. Would an 8" or a 10" be sufficent. Or do I need to go longer. My Thermocouple is 3 Inch by the way. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Shoot man I just sold my Murrays RIMS tube or I would have measured the Tee's for you. I will bump this one for you so someone can measure their Tee's. Im gonna guess that they were around 4" long so you would probably need a min of 10" nipple. Hopefully someone can measure for you.

Thanks Coldies I just went to HD and measured the Tees you were right they were 4" on the money. Thanks for the reply looks like it will be a 10" nipple. Can I ask why you sold your RIMS heater?

I sold it cause I had a solid RIMS tube made. My friend is in the middle of a RIMS build so I sold my tube to him.

Hey KingsTab, working on sourcing parts for my RIMS tube. Curious as to what thermocouple you used and what type of controller you're planning on using. Coldies, curious to know what you used in your first and second RIMS build as well.
Just trying to get a feel for what everyone is using.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back