You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fell victim to "packaging the last batch the day before leaving on vacation so it has a reduced chance to go bad" bit.

Every time your SWMBO notes a flavor in a beer, you reply with "I know how they did that!"

SWMBO: This wheat beer has a banana taste.
Me: Yeah, that's from the yeast strain. And they probably fermented a little warm.

SWMBO: I don't taste tangerines, but I smell them.
Me: Yeah, that's because they add the tangerines after the boil. They may have even dry-hopped them.

SWMBO: This one (a Saison) tastes kinda fruity.
Me: It's fermented warm, so you get these esters that make it taste fruity.

First your fridge contained food. Then just beer. Now half beer, half washed and harvested yeast...

First your fridge contained food. Then just beer. Now half beer, half washed and harvested yeast...

I am the worst yeast harvester/dregg collector, had to actually throw some out the other day because I did not label them, and needed room for food in the fridge:(

When you bring a mixed 12'r to a class reunion & the guy doesn't even talk to you, but wants the beer. you then take it home & drink it yourself...:mad::tank:

Small class reunion? "when the guy doesn't talk to you" ??

We had our EHS 40th class reunion last Saturday. I was talking to them on facebook & a former classmate/football team member wanted to try my beers. At the reunion, he never gave me a passing word. Not like he couldn't look at the pic on my facebook page? So I took the beers back home with me.

While you're shopping at the local Wal-Mart or Sam's Club, you see a cooler large enough to stuff an entire dead cow into with room to spare, and think to yourself "Man, that'd make one hell of a mash tun!" SWMBO sees what you're looking at and says "Don't even think about it, Mister!" :D

Maybe not just for homebrewers...but you know you're a beer geek when your friends text you a pic of the beer list from wherever they're eating and say, "quick, help me decide what to order!"

When you almost consider not using a fermentation fridge just so you can hear the sweet sounds of an airlock at all hours of the day.

When you almost consider not using a fermentation fridge just so you can hear the sweet sounds of an airlock at all hours of the day.

I'm not so much into hearing it as I am seeing it. My swmbo has caught me in the garage starring at an open fridge (my ferm chamber), to which she said, "Ever since you started homebrewing, you got a bit weirder" What can I say? I like seeing the airlock activity. It's like the first round prize you get to let you know you did something right.

To stay in line with the thread...

When everyone asks you, "so when are you going to start selling your beer?"

Probably been said before, but...

When you see a party scene in movie/TV and see their pump keg setup. Then realize that your day to day home dispensing system is better than that "awesome keg party."

When you keep changing your stout recipe, trying to come up with that perfect pint...:mug:

Same here. Worst part is, I brewed the perfect stout... on a bad brew day when I undershot SG by .020 and made up the rest with DME. Came out fantastic, can't replicate it, don't know how I screwed up that bad.

I'm hip. Like the time I was brewing version 3 of my Hopped & Confused hybrid lager & passed out after the bittering addition. Came out a hair clearer & a bit better flavor. Idk if I could duplicate that one. but a dry stout with 1.5ozs NB hops for bittering with American white oak is a touch much, even though I used less oak & bourbon. Gotta use less oak & more bourbon. Changed to a sweet stout for attempt #4. Briess chocolate out, Simpson's in.

When your freezer is so full with hops that there is no more room for food, but you have enough to make half a year worth of Heady Topper and Pliny clones. I mean the two pound bag of spanish nugget was on sale for example and I only already had half a pound of that...

Multiple of the new students arriving right now talked to me about where to get beer and which ones within two days of arriving cause they were told that I´d know...I need to know how they really knew...

Despite the 100's of great brews you've made in the last 20 years u still remember comments like "tastes like vegetable soup" or "hmmmm, kind of nutty" from your first few batches. No more vegetable soup!!!!!

You know you're a home brewer when you start looking funny at the washing machine, thinking "hmmm, lots of stainles in there... And the perforations in the drum... What are those, like 1-2mm?"

Really old story
, I know, but I still think it is funny :)

Back