which pot to get, can't decide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menerdari

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with the aluminum. The problem with porcelain is it can chip which could cause problems from the pot rusting and such.

I would go with stainless steel. I bought a brand new 15 gallon SS kettle with lid off of ebay for $95.00 delivered to my door and I absolutely love it. I am sure you can get a 10 or 12 gallon close to what you are looking at in SS.

I use both stainless steel and aluminum pots. The porcelain chip and fade leading to rust. I have used porcelain before early on in this hobby and have had to replace it much sooner than I would like.

Most chipped enamal pots are old and past their life expectancy anyways. a new one will last a long time.

the problem is its size, you're going to get sick of lifting a 50quart pot and you will fill it. Its a lot easier to get a clean hole drilled in SS/aluminum.

get stainless steel, it will be easier to sell when you realize you shouldve purchased a 15 gallon pot.

Aluminum can be fussy; you need to boil water in it to develop an oxidized protective layer, then be careful not to take that layer off by scrubbing, etc - too much work IMO. Get stainless steel and it'll last forever

I had a porcelain pot and it was chipped after the first use, so I don't think a new one will last a long time. I would stick with the aluminum or find a SS pot.

I went with the aluminum one, order has been placed. Thanks for the comments

I went with the aluminum one, order has been placed. Thanks for the comments

I used aluminum turkey fryer up until recently and they are not fussy or any problem,just remember first thing you want to do is a full boil of water for I think 30 minutes this will build a passive oxidation layer(you will most likely notice a color change) after this do not scrub the layer off. Enjoy

I know you already bought yours, but I wanted to put in a good word for enamel. I've used the same 8 gal. enamel pot for 17 years. The lid has a tiny bit of rust near the edge where I dropped it on cement once. If you're careful, enamel's a great choice. (I've also used glass carboys for 20 years and the same hydrometer I started with 22 years ago).

I have a huge enamel canning kettle that I used till this week. There is nothing wrong with it I just found a nice stainless pot on sale so my brew today will be in the shiny new pot.

I know about oxidizing the aluminum pot, I am already using a smaller one. I wanted a bigger pot to make BIAB easier.
2 things that played in my decision are:
1: I am thinking with the thicker walls it will hold temp easier when mashing
2: I can make a hole in it for a spigot

Back