cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETOHonboard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried my first cold crash and everything I have read says to crash it for 24 to 72 hrs. After fermentation I put it in a temp controlled fridge around 38 degrees and accidentally left it for a week and a half and now the beer has been in bottles for three weeks and have little to no carbonation! I have three questions: to long cold crashing?, how's the temp?, And most importantly, will it ever carb!?

im wondering if most of the yeast settled durring all that time at 38deg. if it did.. then the yeast count may be too low to carbonate the beer. or it may take longer to carb. im just guessing from what i have researched. i am on my first lager myself. It still in primary tho.

What was the OG and FG of the brew? If it is a higher gravity it may just take more time to carb. If there is a yeast layer forming in the bottles, try gently rolling them to re-rouse what's in there.

I'm also on my first lagering and have many of the same questions. There is a lot of information out there but I haven't yet found a bullet list of do this, then that, then the next thing, but I have a rough idea of what to try first. One thing I have read in a couple of places is pitching more yeast at bottling time, or just before bottling time, but I am not speaking from experience yet.

O.g. was 1.065 and f.g. was 1.018. I have tried rolling a few around and got the same result. If its a lost cause can I GENTLY (through a funnel and some hose) pour the beers into a keg and try carbing the that way?

I have an IPA that had an OG of 1.073 that is only about half carbed after about a month. Do you have any carbonation at all? I personally would avoid transferring to a keg as the risk of oxidation is pretty high doing so.

Back