Oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I have heard you guys talk about oxyclean as a cleaner. Is this the same product as I have seen in the grocery store?

It seems like a lower priced alternative to stuff that is formulated just for brewing.

Yeah, it's not a sanitizer. Though at high enough doses.. I have to wonder what could live in a solution of that stuff.

The no name brand stuff is way cheaper at works just as well. Watch your clothing. High concentrations will bleach clothing.

We have a $7 keg tub from Walmart that we use for cleaning bottles. About 1.5 scoops seems to work nicely when we fill it up about 2/3 of the way. Any more just makes us have to rinse even more.

Good stuff for label and glue removal and it got a lot of dried on mold and dead crickets out of the bottoms of bottles I'd been saving for a few years in my basement!

Moon

Moonpile said:
Good stuff for label and glue removal

100% agree

It is absolutely indispensable if you bottle to have this stuff around to remove labels!!!

Imperative!!!!

I use it exclusively for cleaning my carboys, about 1 scoop then fill the carboy about half full. On the secondaries, I have always been able to completely clean without scrubbing (a good thing since I use plastic BBs). For my primary (usually a glass carboy) I can sometimes, but not always, get it clean without scrubbing. I just fill the jug halfway with the oxyclean solution then tip it upside down in my utility sink partially filled with water. Through magic or physics or something the oxyclean solution stays in the carboy and is able to soak away most, and sometimes all of the krausen krud that rings the top of the carboy.

Chimone said:
is PBW the same thing as oxyclean?

Similar, but not really, PBW is like Oxyclean on steroids. I recall a thread on this WAY back on the greenboard, where a guy mixed his own PBW.

PBW is 1/3 washing soda, 2/3 sodium metasillicate (Red Devil TSP Substitute) and a little surfactant.

I had to look up surfactant, though... :D

Oxyclean is all I use, I usually try to get the FREE one but don't like the way the foam sticks to things after a long soak. My Girlfriend (shocker) got me the wrong one (regular oxyclean) and I like it alot better than the oxy free. Don't like the scent though.

bandt9299 said:
Oxyclean is all I use, I usually try to get the FREE one but don't like the way the foam sticks to things after a long soak. My Girlfriend (shocker) got me the wrong one (regular oxyclean) and I like it alot better than the oxy free. Don't like the scent though.

Cool, what they have at the local store is Oxiclean Versatile and Oxiclean Outdoor, so sounds like the versatile should do the trick... thanks!

Back