Are these bottles infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I bottled my partial mash Northern Brewer's Rye PA one week ago. About 4 bottles look like the pic below as of today. At first I thought it was the yeast accumulating but I looked at the bottom of bottle and there is no sediment. Its just on the sides of the bottle.

Are these 4 bottles most likely infected?

The good news is the rest of the bottles look normal as they should. My sanitizer was Star San and I use a sulfiter for sanitizing the bottles. Caps are soaked in Star San as well.

IMG_0175.jpg

Just to clarify, are you saying that the stuff at the bottom is only around the edge of the bottle? I'm asking because at first glance it looks likes the entire bottom third of the bottle is packed with sediment. :cross:

I've honestly never seen anything like that before, but it's definitely good news that it's only a few bottles.

EDIT: oh, and if you do decide to open one up and pour, take some pics for us. :)

Wow, that's really interesting. I'd love to see some of the really experienced guys comment on that. Never seen anything like it, but then again I'm pretty new to this.

Just to clarify, are you saying that the stuff at the bottom is only around the edge of the bottle? I'm asking because at first glance it looks likes the entire bottom third of the bottle is packed with sediment. :cross:

I've honestly never seen anything like that before, but it's definitely good news that it's only a few bottles.

Yes that is 100% correct. I too have never experienced this. I'm going to give them another week before trying them. I'm also going to isolate them from the rest of the bottles.

It looks like the yeast are flocculating starting at the top and the bottom third havn't settled out yet.

This is also the first I have seen of this but that is my best guess!

Yes that is 100% correct. I too have never experienced this. I'm going to give them another week before trying them. I'm also going to isolate them from the rest of the bottles.

Sounds like a good plan. Be sure to update us on this; it really is interesting.

I'm wondering if it's possible that the yeast, while beginning sedimentation, coated the wall of the bottle? Maybe something to do with a strange temperature fluctuation, or perhaps those few bottles weren't rinsed well enough and the yeast sort of "stuck" a bit on the way down?

I dunno, none of that makes much sense now that I typed it out :drunk: But what I was getting at is that it's a good idea to let them sit a while, especially if it just turns out to be the yeast doing something funky on the way down to the bottom. :mug:

Ah, that's right, that's why you need to stir your fruit and all. So maybe a species of wild yeast, then.

That looks like trub or fruit sediment...Was that perhaps one of the last bottles you filled and you got lots of sediment in there?

Could be sediment or trub thats just sticking to the side of the bottles. I just don't remember if those 4 were the last ones.

Thanks to all for all of the replies. When I open one next weekend I will post results.

Ok so I opened up the bottle that I posted pics of tonight. Its been 12 days since bottling.

Apparently this was just an accumulation of trub. I initially thought it was just on the sides of the bottle but apparently it was caked on the bottom as well. I just couldn't see through the bottle bottom.

I got about 3/4 of a glass out of it.

In any even the beer came out really good and highly drinkable but its still young. I'm going to give the rest of the batch 6 weeks in the bottle before drinking.

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

I had that with the first Pumpkin beer I tried no secondary on....did'nt work out. That's why fruit beers are one of the things that I use a secondary, if not a tertiary on.

Yeah let's not get crazy with jumping to the mold and infection. No need to go crazy. It's only been bottled 12 days you say? Sometimes things take a bit to settle out.

Or maybe you didn't give it sufficient time to clean up & settle out more before bottling? Def a lot of trub. I used to get something like that when I wasn't settling the beer out as much as I do now. Or getting a little rough with the primary attempting to get the last couple of beers racked out. But it does settle out eventually.
That's the one thing I liked about the cooper's PET bottles. They have those lugs on the bottom like some soda bottles that the trub settles into. Always got good pours with those.

Back