Opinions on my Session APA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some leftover extract, hops, specialty and a couple of packets of dry. There is a snow storm brewing outside, so i figure I'll brew inside.

Here's the recipe I'm leaning towards for a session APA. (Laaglanders doesn't permit any other type. :))

I'm looking for a wider audience session beer so not too bitter (23IBU)...not to heavy (3.8%).

I'd love some feedback as I'm not sure if I'm going to destroy the world with my Hops schedule.

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 6.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBU

Boil Time: 40Minutes (NOTE: I'm shortening my brew time and hops boil to prevent the DME from caramelizing. I want a light colored beer.)

Ingredients:
------------
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (20.0 SRM)
(Steeped at 158 for 1 hour)

3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (Laaglanders)
(DME Boiled for 40 minutes)

0.50 oz Northern Brewer Leaf [8.50%] (40 min)
1.00 oz Cascade Pellets [5.50%] (30 min)
0.50 oz Fuggles Pellets [4.50%] (10 min)
0.50 oz Hallertauer Leaf [4.00%] (10 min)

1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-56)

I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions. THis batch will get kegged in my new Sanyo setup in a couple of weeks and will likely be my "show off" beer when I unveil.

Thanks

You can avoid the carmelazation by only adding half of the DME at the start of a 60 min. boil and the rest in the last 15 minutes. That is the approach I used back when I did extract. That way you still get full hop utilization.

A session beer, if I remember correctly, is a term for a lower alcohol percentage ale. I think the term comes from england where patrons could go to a pub and have a few bers in a drinking "session" ad go back to work, not hammered.

Ryan_PA said:
You can avoid the carmelazation by only adding half of the DME at the start of a 60 min. boil and the rest in the last 15 minutes. That is the approach I used back when I did extract. That way you still get full hop utilization.

A session beer, if I remember correctly, is a term for a lower alcohol percentage ale. I think the term comes from england where patrons could go to a pub and have a few bers in a drinking "session" ad go back to work, not hammered.

Yeah. I did three AG brews the last three weekends, back to back. With the snow and the fact that I'm out of propane...I decided to continue my addiction by tapping into my excess DME.

I need a light session beer to go into keg number two of my new setup. The other keg is a heavy, sweet Porter that runs about 6.5%. I figure if I can only run two kegs, go for opposite ends of the spectrum.

Thanks Ryan PA - I guess the interpretation of "low alcohol" depends on one's tolerance!!

Latest posts

Back