Troubleshooting a keg system leak.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes, I know the soapy water trick and all that. I've done that on the CO2 system and that side of the house is fine. Has been so for months now.

I also have a N2/CO2 regulator and set up that has a small leak. I know there's a simple logical rule of thumb that will rule some stuff out.

Here goes:

I open the gas valve and let everything pressure up and then close the petcock valve and next shut off the main tank valve.

In a non-leak situation both the high pressure and the low pressure guages should maintain the original perssure. True or False?

The low pressure guage on mine remains at 30 psi. (mind you this is beer gas) but the High pressure loses pressure over time. Does this mean the leak is either in the guage/fitting, main valve or main fitting?

Make sense?

I would think this is an issue of the pressures euqlizing, the xxxpsi in your regulator and line to the tank is much lower volume than then kegs, so eventually that pressure goes into the kegs (much larger volume) so it makes very little difference there....(this all coming from someone who has only kegged once, doesn't own a kegging system, but works with compressed gas and regulators a bit.

Sounds like it is between the regulator and the tank, so either the tank nut, the inlet to the regulator, or the high pressure gauge/fitting. I think I've got a leak inside one of my low pressure gauges.:mad:

You did use a nylon washer, right?
:drunk:

If not, go back to where you got your gas and ask them for one. This is a washer that goes between the Co2 tank and the regulator nut.

I hope that's it because that's an easier fix than a leaky regulator. If the regulator does leak, then try some new teflon tape first and if that doesn't work, it may be the actual regulator itself.

We'll hope it's the nylon washer or lack thereof...

:cross:

Thanks guys. I'm hoping it's just all of the easy stuff and not inside the reg or a bad guage. I'll look into it this weekend.

Back