Who's brewing today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer3

Reaction score
SWMBO is at work and I've got the house to myself. After a short workout on the drums it's time to brew the first beer of the year, a new years beer. I'm going with a pale ale
Who's brewing what?:mug:

I was thinking about it, but the HBS I went to yesterday was closed (not my usual store, they only close two or three days a year). Does it make any sense for a HBS to close on a Sunday? That's when everybody is brewing! Hell, you need a day off, what about a Tuesday?

My little pet peeve - stores that are closed during the exact time that their product or services are most in need. That's why I don't feel bad that the crappy little hardware store is slowly dying as a result of Home Despot.

the_bird said:
I was thinking about it, but the HBS I went to yesterday was closed (not my usual store, they only close two or three days a year). Does it make any sense for a HBS to close on a Sunday? That's when everybody is brewing! Hell, you need a day off, what about a Tuesday?

My little pet peeve - stores that are closed during the exact time that their product or services are most in need. That's why I don't feel bad that the crappy little hardware store is slowly dying as a result of Home Despot.

I'm sure with you on that one. I used to have to work every Saturday, and if I wanted to fix anything around the house, that left a little time on Saturday afternoons, but mostly it meant Sunday. Before places like Home Depot came around, the local hardware stores were only open until 2 P.M. on Saturdays and most were closed on Sundays. Of course I would always discover I needed something about 5 minutes before they closed.

I wouldn't want to own a LHBS, but it I did, I suspect being open on Sunday would be a good idea.

I agree with you about store hours, Bird. That is like an auto parts store closed any weekend day. That's when I work on my vehicles. I don't agree about the hardware stores though, I get good advice and customer satisfaction at the mom and pop places. I HATE home depot. Whenever I've been there the same question keeps coming to mind...Why do I keep coming here?

drummer3 said:
I agree with you about store hours, Bird. That is like an auto parts store closed any weekend day. That's when I work on my vehicles. I don't agree about the hardware stores though, I get good advice and customer satisfaction at the mom and pop places. I HATE home depot. Whenever I've been there the same question keeps coming to mind...Why do I keep coming here?

Well, the one in particular that I'm thinking about isn't terribly good in that regard. If they WERE, I'd give them business when I could. And, Depots vary in quality - I get great service in the one in my hometown, but the one that's closer to where I live now sucks.

I've got a busy day but I plan on it this afternoon. I got my hopper done for my Christmas present and I need to pressure test my fermentor that I just finished making from a keg. Next, I need to rack an Irish ale into a keg and then I can begin brewing and with what I have availabe I think it will be my last stout for the winter and then it is time for a couple of lagers and some spring and summer ales.
Y'all have fun now, y'hear.
Jeffrey

I have 2 beers in the secondary and i really do need to brew 2 more beers but i'm leaving in less than a week for a big gig out of state. So no brew for me for a few weeks...

I'm in the middle of brewing Walker's IPA. I'm an idiot, however, and forgot to get the ounce of cascades for dryhopping. My "local" LHBS is 150 miles away, so I'm going to have to order them. I have a week, but I'm going to need them by next week. Duh!

Lorena

I got a late start due to mild hangover from last night.:drunk: All better now, got mashed in at about 2:30. Getting ready to crack the 22oz bomber of Double Bastard I picked up Sat.:rockin:

Might bottle the IPA I did at Glibbidy's.

Brewed my Chocolate Stout last night with the family because they wanted to see how it was done. Smelled fantastic, so hopefully it turns out alright!

I'm doing a chocolate Stout myself, must be that time of the year. Just put the kettle on to boil.

Damn, just looked at this bottle of double Bastard. 10% ABV. Guess I might be working on hangover #2.

lorenae said:
I'm in the middle of brewing Walker's IPA. I'm an idiot, however, and forgot to get the ounce of cascades for dryhopping. My "local" LHBS is 150 miles away, so I'm going to have to order them. I have a week, but I'm going to need them by next week. Duh!

Lorena

Lorena, it's tradition when making Walker's IPA to forget some of the hops :D

Brewed my IPA yesterday. Today I just took inventory of all the bottled beers that people left at our party a few weeks ago. Quite an impressive list. Most of them, I will lay down until next year's bash.

lorenae said:

Lorena

I can ship you some Cascade if you need it, but you should be able to order and get some within a week.

I'm glad I brewed a couple days ago. I'm not a big fan of alcohol today.

I wish...I had been reading "Designing Great Beers" and wanted to finish before drawing up a porter for my next, and just finished last night, in time for the LHBS to close, so now I can't do anything but sit and wait....

The LHBS is closed today, but I plan on brewing my belgian wit on Wednesday. This will be the first time I've had multiple carboys full of beer. I'm pretty excited about it!

I was going to brew yesterday, a doppelbock, but ended up working on a mill hopper design for 2 hours and then did not want to start a brew that late in the day (11:00 am). I will be brewing next weekend though.

Well, the rain didn't quit as early as they said ... Imagine that. And then I had the kids over for a New Year's Day dinner so the brewing didn't get done. Looks like next weekend for my brown ale. I also only a couple weeks away from my first AG. Got my Igloo set up with the stainless false bottom today. Took a little while to stop the leaks. Can't wait for AG.

Didn't brew but bottled 2 batches,our AmberAlert and BlahblahBlonde.Both of these Beertools generated recipes are fantastic tasting.I predict I'll repeat em:D .
Cheers:mug:

did a little brewing tonight myself. a steam style. got the recipe at the local shop. my first time using whole grain steeping and hops. went real smooth and smelled great. heres what it ended up looking like. just after pitching

steambrew1.jpg

Brewed my Oak Aged Bourbon Porter at an annual New Years BrewOut. It was a great beginning of a new year.

Wild

I'll be brewing up a SNCA clone tomorrow and pitching it on my 1056 primary yeast cake from a Pale Ale I brewed up last week. Should be a good day, hope to get strike water heating by 730 or 745.

im brewing tomorrow a pale ale first one with a cultured yeast and few other ingredients light light dry malt. I started the yeast up acouple of days ago and looks ready to pitch. Cant wait to try this one

By the way UWMGDMAN, I just put that O-fest ale into the secondary last night. Fifteen days in the primary until the krausen fell! Took a taste and it is promising to be a REAL tasty beer!! Thanks again for the recipe and advice!

I bottled my Cream Ale last night. In a few minutes I am out of work...and rushing home to brew another batch of RIS. :rockin:

Back