Review of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want my money back.....:mad:

I've liked my encounters with Goose Island, so I was optimistic. The beer was just awful.

I thought perhaps a taste of bourbon, which I like on it's own, would have been fun, I didn't expect the beer to taste as if they left half of it in the barrel.

It was salty, buttery...it's the first beer to ever gag me. Three times in fact, as I tried to see if it would get better. It didn't.

I found New Holland's Dragon's Milk to be much better.

Interesting.

I suppose your right, its is very boozy. However, I really enjoy drinking whiskey and water so I suppose adding in the malts and other flavors it was just like a mixed drink to me.

I didn't get any of the salty and buttery. That is interesting. Sorry you didn't like the beer.

So you were expecting a hint, not the overwhelming flavor?

You actually have me curious about the Dragon's Milk.

I'd like to give that a try.

I always find bourbon to have a buttery quality to it. Which I like in bourbon itself, an it makes for a darn good sauce.

"Salt" was one of the first things that popped into my head as soon as it hit my tongue.

I was expecting much less of the bourbon character.

The Dragon's Milk, is VERY potent with the bourbon flavor. However, not so much as to prevent my friend and I from sipping on it. We were in agreement that neither of us could finish a whole bottle of the stuff. heh

The GI site says the beer incorporates two-row, munich, chocolate, caramel, roasted barley, and debittered black malts. That and "up to 5 years in the bottle." Sounds like a meal to me...or at least something I'd drink so seldom that I might as well just buy it and forget about cooking up a recipe......

Oh, and "PanzerBanana," hasn't a lager made at ale temps already got the name "steam beer?"

I had some of this again the other night. A friend brought some over after seeing the video. I love this stuff, however, after hearing all of the suggestions here, I've decided I'd really like to pick up a few bottles and just forget about them for a few years.

The only problem is, I'm not sure I can wait. Kind of wish they would sell them aged.

Thanks for the follow up!

Latest posts

Back