Pacman vs Nottingham/US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have just harvested Rogue's yeast from a bottle of their delicious stout. I have it fermenting a dunkel right now. My plan was to wash the yeast from the Dunkel and to wash many, many healthy samples so I have the pacman strain in house.

However, I already have all kinds of nottingham and US-05. Is the pacman strain really that different from those two? I get very similar results from notty and us-05, with notty attenuating and floccing a hair better. If pacman is just going to be another nottingham I won't bother with washing the yeast and I will just pitch a double IPA on the cake!

thoughts?

Pacman is one of the highest attenuating yeasts around and can do it at 60F. Slightly less flocculent than Notty and about the same alcohol tolerance. Some people are very fond of the flavor profile, others call it dry and mineral.

Pacman is one of the highest attenuating yeasts around and can do it at 60F. Slightly less flocculent than Notty and about the same alcohol tolerance. Some people are very fond of the flavor profile, others call it dry and mineral.

Is it normal for the attenuation to take a while at the cooler temps with pacman? I am assuming that the metabolism of the yeast is slower at cooler temps, so fermenting at 60 may take considerably longer than at 70.

I can't say .................... yet........

I currently have a pale ale fermenting at 60 in my basement. I want to compare it to other pale ales I have brewed with Notty/S-05/White Labs Cali. I fermented those at 70. I am curious to see if the pacman will taste any cleaner.

I just checked the gravity of a IPA i am doing with pacman. I started it a week ago at 60F and it is done already. 86% attenuation, wow. I harvested this from a bottle too. it seems to be pretty healthy coming from the bottle.

I just checked the gravity of a IPA i am doing with pacman. I started it a week ago at 60F and it is done already. 86% attenuation, wow. I harvested this from a bottle too. it seems to be pretty healthy coming from the bottle.

Good deal! I am not seeing a huge blowoff or anything of that nature, the foam on the krausen is very loose, not the fine, thick foam of some yeasts and it seems to be more of the "chugging alone for a week" type of yeast then the "3 days and done" type. Nothing wrong with that.

1.045 to 1.023 in 3 days and still bubbling and high krausen, I will check again in three days but I bet mine finishes 1.010 or so...at least I am hoping pacman can pull that off.

Man, if I get %86 I will be down to 1.007...that is pretty dry, and that is what I am shooting for with this one.

Back