distilled or spring water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spring water has minerals, distilled water has none, distilled is fine for extract brewing because the extract has the minerals in it from processing, but for all-grain you would need to build your water so the minerals needed for brewing are in there, I brew all-grain and use bottled spring water because my tap water is crap out here.

I wouldn't count on the extract for minerals. Why not use drinking water? It tastes better to begin with and the yeast might be assisted by the minerals contained. No reason to ever use distilled that I can think of.

you can use distilled or RO water if you plan to add minerals and brewing salts back to the water to recreate a specific regions water parameters for a specific style.

Otherwise spring water or good tap water works fine. The chloramine in tap water can cause some off flavors if the levels are high. If you like you can treat 20 gallons of tap water with 1 campden tab, and it works in just a few minutes.
Or spring water from the grocery store works fine.

For extract kits you shouldn't need to get fancy on water. partial mash and all-grain is a little more involved but doesn't have to be rocket science.

Latest posts

Back