frozen liquid extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokiua4

Reaction score
i forgot about a tub of liquid extract i had out in the garage and the temp here has droped well below 30 deg for a few days now.i couldn't imagine that it would harm the liquid but i just wanted to ask and see what others think

From what I have read; the water in the yeast will turn to ice and break the cell walls, killing the yeast. If the yeast liquid was glycol however, there is a reduce chance of the ice forming and allowing more of the yeast to live.

In this case, I would recommend a starter since you now have less yeast then when you started.

It'll be fine. Worst that could happen is it cracks the container.

I'm surprised it would freeze at those temps anyway. I would think the freezing point of LME would be pretty low.

I love when people provide an answer without reading the question. lol

It'll be fine, thaw it out and use it as you normally would.

From what I have read; the water in the yeast will turn to ice and break the cell walls, killing the yeast. If the yeast liquid was glycol however, there is a reduce chance of the ice forming and allowing more of the yeast to live.

In this case, I would recommend a starter since you now have less yeast then when you started.

Lol, yeast in LME. ;0)

Your LME doesn't come pre-pitched? :D

Back