want to start messing with my water!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronbeer

Reaction score
Ok, so i am ready to start playing with water chemistry! I have been using my tap water mixed with pure water but I want to get more precise. I am brewing all grain.

I will be starting with pure water from the water windmill (pay by the gallon place)

Here are my questions

1. I have bought Gypsum, Calcium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate and burtons water salt. What else do I need?

2. By starting with pure water, what and how much stuff do I need to add

3. Is there a "recipe" I can use for all my beers? If so, does anyone have a good one?

I've used standard baking soda (NaHCO3) and sea salt (NaCl) as well.

I start with Reverse Osmosis water and then build up depending on style. I would recommend using some of the online calculators to learn how much each salt contributes to your batch in parts per million, then use the profiles to try and get as close as you can. This is what I do.

The main difference I've seen is with my hoppy beers. To accentuate the hop profile and bitterness, water for these brews are often very high in sulfates (200+ppm) as they bring out the bitterness (get this from adding gypsum).

One thing to watch out for is your mash. A rule of thumb that I've seen is that there should be at least 50 ppm of Calcium in the mash. Something to think about when you are building your water.

Good luck!

Back