Vanilla Mead - Updates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StickyWicket

Reaction score
My wife has talked me into making a vanilla mead. Looking through the posts and recipes here, I see there is a vanilla mead from Redhawke (via Nurse Nan) and a Leap Year Mead from BK and a number of others. So, any updates on these meads? Anyone taste a decently aged product yet? Would you change anything if you were to do it again?

Also, with respect to the LYM, any need to add some tannins (ala the tea in the redhawke version)? Thanks! :)

I'm going to try the Redhawke tomorrow. I love Earl Grey so that's what sold me with the Redhawke version!

I've tasted the LYM several times now, and it's fantastic. The Vanilla was EXREME for a while, but I've got a small sample (See Drink the Dregs) in the fridge....it's tasting great.

I haven't tasted my Leap Year Mead yet, but due to a stuck fermentation I am behind most of the group. I just transferred to quadrary (haha?) onto my madagascar beans tonight. I must say, the honey aromas mixing with the vanilla is just amazing.

My vanilla mead was brewed on 1/1/8 and is in secondary now. I was thinking about tertiary once I bottle my Oak Aged Bourbon Porter (it's in my only other 5-gallon carboy).

The last time I tried the LYM it needed some serious time to mellow out the vanilla. I am planning on trying one of the bottles 2/28/09 though.

Latest posts

Back