how do major corporations carbonate and bottle their beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
how do macro beers like bud or miller carbonate their beer? just curious, I just don't get how they do it. how do they do it without bottle conditioning?

take the beer, filter it into a brite tank, then pump CO2 gas through the beer (under CO2 pressure) through small pore stones until carbonates

weird, that sounds lame. obviously the natural way is better. so, they pretty much do it like soda eh?

weird, that sounds lame. obviously the natural way is better. so, they pretty much do it like soda eh?

Yup. And the result is the same- carbonation- CO2 in suspension. The only thing you miss out on are the little yeasties having an extra orgy in your beer.

And, to be honest, yes, pressure-carbing CO2 is lame. I mean, really, who doesn't want the yeast having an orgy in their beer? :drunk:

Also, they are adding back the CO2 from the fermentation process. Obviously, not all of it.

I cant wait till I have kegs for force carbing, how could you not?? Waiting 3 weeks for bottle conditioning sucks arse.

Force carbing still takes a week, unless you prefer the shake, adjust, bleed, and foam method.

Plus, whose beer doesn't benefit from the extra time to condition?

How is forced carbonation lame exactly? It's all I drink.

sorry, sorry I didn't mean to judge too harshly. especially since i'm a noob to brewing but, isn't the sediment from bottle conditioning high in vitamin B6? That seems like an extra benefit.

I'll keep drinking beer that looks like this out of the keg and suppliment with a daily multivitamin ;-)

4833-P1110533.JPG

How is forced carbonation lame exactly? It's all I drink.

but its like they bottle it pre carbonated then? can you do that with homebrews keg style? like pour it from the keg and bottle it without loosing carb? just curious as to how they do it

Give the hobby some time, and you'll soon be touting the ease, and impressive results of force carbing and bottling from the keg.

I remember when I started brewing, someone was sure to point out that the yeast sediment was good for ya. They never mentioned how much better the beer tasted without it (Most styles obviously).

I am SOOOOOO ready for force carbing/kegging. It took me the better part of a day to bottle 20 gal of apfelwein!

sorry, sorry I didn't mean to judge too harshly. especially since i'm a noob to brewing but, isn't the sediment from bottle conditioning high in vitamin B6? That seems like an extra benefit.

The beer is high in B anyway as long as you don't filter it. I don't get hangovers from my brew unless I really go overboard. Which do you think would cause a greater change in the taste of the beverage, injecting pure CO2 or drinking a clump of yeast?

Being a newb to home brewing still, could someone enlighten me with a cost estimate of the equipment needed to keg versus bottling? I currently have what I need to bottle, and I intend to bottle at least my first few brews. I would rather not have to worry about the yeast sediment if possibly.

No it's not rocket science but judging by the number of "can I filter my beer before going into bottles" threads, some people think it is. The one thing you can't do is put a sixer of bottle conditioned beer into a cooler and take it somewhere and have it pour like that. Once you kick up the sediment, it takes some time before you can decant it.

In answer to the OP's question, there are a lot of micro breweries that "lock down" the fermenter under pressure before full fermentation is complete. Now that the beer is still fermenting (and putting off CO2) in this closed system, it's much like bottle priming, but on a larger scale. CO2 is produced and absorbed into the liquid (just like the bottles in your closet).

About 5-6 days pre packaging, they'll crash chill the fermenters to get the yeast to fall out, transfer to a chilled bright tank and then force in whatever additional CO2 is needed to get them to their target volumes. From their they get bottled using a counter-pressure filler or transferred to sanke kegs for distribution.

i used to think the natural carbing from adding some priming sugar, and letting the yeast do it's thing again was the way to go, i wouldn't go so far as to say i looked down my nose at those advocating the simplicity of force kegging... then i kegged my first beer and haven't needed the bottling bucket ever since...:mug:

To do it right you're looking at about $600 for a two keg setup in a Sanyo fridge or $900 for a 5 keg system using a converted chest freezer.

I break down the costs at the bottom of this page http://www.suebob.com/brew/equipment.htm I forgot to factor in the temp controller you'd need on a freezer which goes for about $50 so there's your $900..
my 3tap set-up cost closer to $300-350 with 2 co2 tanks

i used to think the natural carbing from adding some priming sugar, and letting the yeast do it's thing again was the way to go, i wouldn't go so far as to say i looked down my nose at those advocating the simplicity of force kegging... then i kegged my first beer and haven't needed the bottling bucket ever since...:mug:

i still bottle an occasional beer hefe's or long aged beers like ris or barleywines

No it's not rocket science but judging by the number of "can I filter my beer before going into bottles" threads, some people think it is. The one thing you can't do is put a sixer of bottle conditioned beer into a cooler and take it somewhere and have it pour like that. Once you kick up the sediment, it takes some time before you can decant it.

Weird, I did just this with a 6pack of IPA a couple of weeks ago. Came out great for me.

Back