refrigerator temp control questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickk

Reaction score
It pays to have good friends-- I scored a corny keg, a CO2 tank, and a nice refrigerator for free. I'm pretty excited that I'll finally be able to control my fermentation temperatures and have my beer on tap.

I've set it up with two compartments; one for fermenting and one for kegs and bottles. I found the schematic taped underneath, so I also wired in two outlets with dimmer switch controls since I will likely need some additional control. Some pictures should appear below.

I have not let it go long enough to know what the equilibrium temps will be, but I expect that it will be too cold for the ales I currently brew. I will probably need a heating element of some sort in the upper chamber. I was thinking of using a heating pad, a cheap $20 wall thermostat, and a relay switch. Has anyone tried something like this? Any advice?

fridge1.jpg

fridge2.jpg

fridge3.jpg

Back