Adding flavors to secondary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky

Reaction score
hey, just inquiring as to adding different kinds of flavors when you actually bottle the beer. i was looking to experiment with different flavors like honey, hazelnut, ginger, caramel, vanilla, cinnamon - but not sure how to go about it.

so say that primary fermentation is done and I'm ready to bottle the beer. I add two carbonation drops into a 740ml bottle. now, could i add in some honey or any of the aforementioned ingredients in with the carbonation drops and then add the beer, then seal. if this is possible, what quantities of each could i possibly add to each bottle for a decent tasting beer? (note: I'm dealing with Coopers Lager if you've heard of it).

cheers guys!

Haven't done this myself, but I have read a little on it.

You can't add the honey, or caramel without first stopping your fermentation somehow or they will just be converted into alcohol. You won't get any flavor out of them, just more dryness. Also, you may make a bottle bomb.

As far as hazelnut, ginger, and cinnamon go, I've heard that people steep them in a little water with their priming sugar, then add that spiced sugar water to the bottling bucket and mix it very well without aerating it. I would think that you could still do this without the sugar since you're using the priming tablets.

Hope this helps a little.

Back