Apple giner cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickabeelane

Reaction score
Second attempt at a cyser. First one didn't have enough honey and I left it on its lees, so it ended up with a funky taste.
Here's what I've got so far.

Feb 18th 2013
1 gallon organic apple juice
1 pound ginger roughly grated
2.2 pounds clover honey
4 earl grey tea packets in 2 cups boiling water

Tested for acidity added 2.25 tsp acid blend

No boil method (first time,) added one campden tablet

Will let it sit for 48 hours then pitch yeast

Original gravity 1.10. May be high due to apple juice?

Thoughts?

Is that really 1 pound of ginger, not 1 ounce? Its going to be very good, but you are not going to taste the apple. Also it seems to be difficult to do a titration on honey due to the glucogonic acid switching back and forth from being an acid, but you added probably about the right amount if making it like a winemaker. We really like ginger wine, fire you right up on a cold day! WVMJ

Yep. One pound. So far the smell is really interesting. It smells like ginger, until I give it a stir and then the apple wafts out of it. I will be pitching the yeast tomorrow so we shall see... I did a little searching on the forum before I started and the amount of ginger seems to differ widely. Hopefully I won't lose the apple completely, but I will let you know,

Very good for you, we like ginger wine, you might as well start a big batch now. Its also very good used in asian cooking, yours should be strong enough to use in marinades and dressings. Hope you enjoy the heat! WVMJ

Racked into tertiary to get mead away from gross lees. Taste tested: strong ginger taste, too strong IMO but I think my wife will like it. Next batch I think I will half the amount of ginger. Addition of many marbles to remove head space. I will check back in two months.

image-162467966.jpg

Latest posts

Back