What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on doing some 2.5-3 gallon BIAB batches to get my feet wet! But yes, I've heard great things about fermcaps!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Don't be afraid to do full 5 gallon batches in it. A close eye and fermcap and you'll be fine. Otherwise a close eye and a little cleaning and you'll be fine. Either way, you're making beer! Woo hoo! You can boil a smaller batch as hard as you want, and it would probably just barely reach the top. Is your pot aluminum or stainless? If it's aluminum make sure you boil water in it before you use it. That will anodize it.

Don't be afraid to do full 5 gallon batches in it. A close eye and fermcap and you'll be fine. Otherwise a close eye and a little cleaning and you'll be fine. Either way, you're making beer! Woo hoo! You can boil a smaller batch as hard as you want, and it would probably just barely reach the top. Is your pot aluminum or stainless? If it's aluminum make sure you boil water in it before you use it. That will anodize it.

Good to know! I'm really torn on the whole 5 gallon issue. I've heard such mixed advice on if I could do 5 gallons in a 29qt. pot. My main reason for doing smaller batches is that I can brew more often, and try new things, however. Once I find one that I love, I will probably start with the 5 gallon batches again. I just want to brew as much as I can, without spending a million dollars! The way I see it, the more often I brew, the more I will learn, and this way, I can brew two batches for the price of one!

It is aluminum, so I will definitely have to boil in it first. Thanks for the heads-up on that one!

My perspective on the 5 gallon issue was that I could drink all of that by the time the next batch was brewed, fermented, and bottle conditioned. My wife doesn't like the time I spend on brewing usually, so I upped it to 10 gallon batches. If I could boil 15, that would be my next step. My fermented could handle it, but my keggle won't.

Had a quite productive mail retrieval today. Another large stockpot, since stovetop with one stockpot and a mashup of whatever clean kitchen pots I had at the moment wasn't a very great method. Also with the success of my yeast harvesting experiment* I invested in a stirplate. Also a semi-soft sample cylinder because my rigid one died, a pound of hops (first time bulk buying), carboy thermometer since I was in the neighborhood. And, since I've heard of a few accidents here and there, a spare stir bar. Just in case.

Now it's off to find a decent flask at a good price. Local university science department apparently has them. Not to sure on their price but there won't be any shipping cost. For the time being, my starters will live in a generic used jar.

* The experiment was if I could personally pull it off, or if it would drive me to the brink of insanity. Turns out insanity was achieved long ago.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398984947.161131.jpg

1lb magnum
1lb simcoe
1lb nelson sauvin
1lb citra
2oz ahtanum

Because sometimes life gets really busy, I haven't had a chance to brew since before Thanksgiving :eek: However, I figured I'd try to inspire myself a bit and so I ordered a 3 liter beaker and a Stir Starter stir plate from William Brewing and it got here on Friday. Through some strange coincidence, a friend I ride with gave me $20 worth of gift certificates for White Labs (just a few miles from here). So, with a couple more weeks of school to go, I'm chompin' at the bit to get brewing again.

Now I just have to decide what to brew...

My Petite Saison De ete' kit came in from NB a little bit ago that I ordered on Sunday. Using the French 3711 saison yeast. Gonna see what these higher ferment temps can do for the beer...

My Petite Saison De ete' kit came in from NB a little bit ago that I ordered on Sunday. Using the French 3711 saison yeast. Gonna see what these higher ferment temps can do for the beer...

Peppered banana bubblegum. With slight Orval funk. In a very good way

It came with Maillard malts as well as 2 of the 3 hop packets were from Hop Union. The French 3711 yeast should work well for the flavor.

A free 15 gallon brewpot, cause the last one had a leaking solder. The vendor told me to keep it and sent me another one (not leaking!) My cousin fixed the first one and now I have two brand new 15 gallon SS brew pots! Yay!

Nice!! Had this happen to me too. I ordered a 9 gallon kettle with two welded ports. One had an issue threading from the inside. So the vendor said "keep it, we will send a new one". I was doing extract at the time so I had no use for an extra pot. But now I'm doing all grain so the extra is now my HLT.

Ten pounds of Red X malt, 10lbs of Weyermann pils malt, 15lbs of Great Western 2-row, and a pound of EKG's from Farmhouse Brewing supply. Excited to brew! I also got a free pint glass that's shaped like a can. Pretty freakin' sweet.

2 more books, (Brewing Classic Styles and For the love of Hops) Blichmann 3 piece ball valve, dip tube and dip tube adapter

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399583717.360209.jpg

Most of the parts for my HLT (thanks Bobby). Still waiting for the coil to ship from stainless fittings and I can get to cutting and soldering.

Auto syphon. 25k of Pilsner Malt, 10 KGs of Maris Otter, 400g of crystal 120, 600g of flaked wheat, 2 x safale US05, one 04 and a pack of danstar West Coast Yeast.

The excitement was tinged with disappointment when I realised I didn't order correctly and missed out on a free 100g of Polaris hops.

The Big Brown Truck just dropped off my SP10. :ban: No more partial boils on the stovetop for me. Had I known that I was going to have it in time for brew day tomorrow, I would have picked up enough grain at the LHBS to have a 5 gallon batch of Falconer's Flight IPA instead of the 2.5 gallon batch that I am doing.

Not brew related,but my new carbon/ceramic disc pads came in. Still waiting for the slotted & cross-drilled rotors. Got my son & me a '99 Mustang GT this morning with 4.6L 5spd & traction control among other things. Took all day to buy it & get the paper work done. My Petite Saison De.ete came in from NB the other day as well.

Back