The Garum Pact- Another fermentable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
It can be done! But should it...

If I were to make, ferment and consume the Roman Empire's ubiquitous fish sauce condiment Garum, would any of you do it with me?

This is not for the faint of heart, and I actually wouldnt want to brave it alone.

Totally serious here.
:eek:

Got some small fish guts handy?

I'd have to catch a lot of tiny fish to make maybe a gallon batch? The SWMBO would think I've finally lost it...muhahahahaha

A tribute to Pliny the Elder (the person)?

How to though? Got some historical references on what type of fish/salt brine mixture, that would be good, so as not just turn into another science project?

Part of me always wanted to do this...and part of me is terrified of doing it. My problem is that I can't do it anywhere without the wife or neighbors complaining. Stupid high density housing. How do you plan to get away with the smell for 6 weeks?

http://www.grouprecipes.com/112785/authentic-roman-garum-fish-sauce.html

This awesome website seems to have it all laid out. I'd likely buy whole sardines or anchovies and then maybe put the fermenter outside inside my black grill in june? I dont know.

Got some small fish guts handy?

I'd have to catch a lot of tiny fish to make maybe a gallon batch? The SWMBO would think I've finally lost it...muhahahahaha

A tribute to Pliny the Elder (the person)?

How to though? Got some historical references on what type of fish/salt brine mixture, that would be good, so as not just turn into another science project?

Do it outdoors:D

Or in the garage, in my chest freezer.

This is kind of going to be a MacGyver situation for sure, it'll take some neurons to pull this one off under the threat of the watchful nose of SWMBO

Don't start yet, I have to get my ducks in a row. Its not a pact if I cant deliver. hehehe. Your brand of evil makes me smile, sir.

Looks like outdoors in June is the key...why not.

Any pact worth doing should be an evil one, if not rank smelling...but yea need the heat to pull this one off

Of the recipes I looked at, Creamy's was the onlly one that actually mentioned fermenting without being directly taken from old texts although http://www.pompeii-food-and-drink.org/garum.htm had a couple of plausible looking recipes. The only thing I don't see is a temp / humidity range. I can't imagine a texas summer being too hot but it may not be humid enough?

If I catch this thread when it comes time where you are, I may use it as an excuse to get some starter equipment and use a flask for it...we'll see in June.

Well we are at about 100 degrees everyday for I forgot how long, How about it? Should we copy the youtube show "will it blend" by a similar knockoff of "will it be edible after fermentation and not drive everyone away screaming?" and get this thing going?

I spoke to the wife. She responded... ahem... unfavorably. I think if I go against her wishes on this particular homebrew, I will spend a lot of time on the couch :-(. Go on without me, brave friends.

you could retro fit something with this on the top

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MJLRBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

just a carbon topped airlock or soemthing to that nature? i've heard good reviews about them :mug: could help the smell a ton.
i'd try some for sure! if you weren't almost directly across the country lol

I think definitely a compost bin type fermenter would be good here. I already have a compost bin in the backyard, one time it was pretty stinky before I put drain holes in the bottom hehe. If the volume is big enough, I can just keep it sealed up for the most part, and the yeast will do their job . I'm thinking get a 5 gallon plastic jug or something to that effect, sanitize the crap out of it, and just put the fish guts in and go. I will get back to you all about this...I mean... we're talking about Roman era fish guts fermenting here, not Trappist Monk cave fermented heaven:cross:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back