Mashout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasco20

Reaction score
I have 2 ag brews under my belt, for the mashout on these i heated about a gallon of water to boiling, i didnt come close to my target mashout of 168. I only used one gallon for fear of having too much wort. Should i use 2 gallons? If so, do i need to subtract 2 gallons from my sparge water, or boil longer to compensate? I use beersmith for my sparge calculator, and there is nowhere(that i have seen) for adjusting for mashout. Also, i am using 1.25 quarts/pound of grain. I am using a 10 gallon pot, so i dont want to be too full, in fear of boil overs.

P.S. I fig a 10 gallon pot would have been plenty big for 5 gallon batches, next time i will buy a 15 gallon pot.

Do you really need to mash out? If sparge water is hot enough and the sparge isn't too quick, I don't see what the need is?

I stopped doing infusions for mash out, because I wanted the sparge volume to stay higher. I either do a decoction for mash out, or skip the mashout all together. I fly sparge with 180F water.

I've done many all grain recipes using a single temperature infusion mash with a fly sparge this is how I do them.

I preheat my mash tun with 160F water for 10-20 minutes and then dump it out. I use a mash thickness of 1.25 qts. per lb. of grain to calculate my strike water volume. I then use a calculator and enter the grain temperature to find out how hot the strike water has to be to set the grain bed to say 155F (typically 168-172F with 58F grains).

I pour in 1/2 the strike water and mix in some grains then pour in the other 1/2 and the rest of the grains stirring all the while. I also keep a small amount of cold water and some 170F water handy in case I want to raise or lower the grain bed a degree or two.

Once I've convinced there are no dry pockets, hot spots or channels in the grain bed I screw the top on put some towels over it and let it mash for an hour.

I then pour 168F water in the top of the tun while lautering the wort into my boil pot, being very careful not to disturb the grain bed while pouring. I keep about an inch or two of water covering the grain bed during the entire 30 minute lauter and fill the boil pot with my pre-boil volume.

sparg.jpg

Doing all grain this way is really pretty easy once you get your process down and it's a lot of fun.

I fly sparge as well and don't mash-out. Just make sure your sparge water is 169°F or a bit higher and you will be fine. I have even seen some testing using cold water to sparge without any, or at least very minimal apparent impact on efficiency.

Thanks guys, i sparge with 175F water. Lets say i wanted to do a mashout, would i then subtract that amount from my sparge water?

Thanks guys, i sparge with 175F water. Lets say i wanted to do a mashout, would i then subtract that amount from my sparge water?

Yes you would. If you calculate your sparge water then your mash out infusion water has to come from it.
So if your going to sparge with say 8 gallons in your calcs and you want to do a 2 gallon infusion for a mash out then yes you’ll only be sparging with 6 gallons.

Cheers
Jay

You can add a mash profile or an additional infusion on beersmith. Either add it as a new profile using the mash selection on the left-side menu tree, or add the additional infusion to your individual mash schedule on each recipe.

Back