Start Hops inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamarkid7

Reaction score
Hey guys,

One thing I learned about hops last year was not to rush it and to take your time with them. Last year I ordered 3 ryzomes of cascades and lost all three. I went to try and dig them up and there was nothing to dig up. I think I buried them to deep and they died and decomposed. Never the less it is hop season and I’m going to give it another try. Only this time I’m a little nervous about it obviously because of last year. Is there anything saying that I can’t start them inside and transfer them to there beds when they are starting to grow? I know people do that all the time for other plants and you would think that it would be the same thing. All you need is a few pots, some potting soil, water and a good light rite? Has anyone done this before? Any information is helpful.

Cheers… :mug:

I just got 2 kinds a few weeks ago, I am doing mine outside in 1 gallon pots to start but instructions recommended starting them inside at about 70 degress. The say they can handle a slight frost if recently cut though. Mine have their little shoots starting to come up. I will transplant once they get going a bit better

You can start them inside but if you don't plant them properly they're not going to do any better inside than outside. I've ordered most of my hops from freshops.com and I've followed their planting instructions and have had good success. I'd recommend reading through their guide but the cliff's notes version is cover with about an inch of soil and keep moist but don't drown them.

Back