Denver CMC group grain buy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just recently gotten into brewing - have only done one batch so far. I definitely plan to continue improving my technique, and making as much beer as I can drink/get my friends to drink. My first brew was a partial mash. I apologize in advance for any absurdity in my questions.
That said, is it advisable for a "new" brewer to start buying large quantities of grain? I'm assuming that this would need to be moistened to germinate, then dried and cracked, or have those things already been done?
Finally, a much larger question - is all grain brewing just a more time-consuming process, or is it a significant learning curve? A 50 pound bag could get me a long way in this hobby, but I'm wondering if it would be "safer" to continue heading to the homebrew store and buying one recipe at a time.

Thanks!

The grain stores really well, so long as you can keep it in a dry place with a pretty constant temperature.

However, my 2 bits is that you shouldn't buy any until you've started all grain brewing, or know you're going to be doing it soon. With All grain brewing, it isn't terribly harder than extract, but it does take a long time. 6 - 8 hours a brew session is fairly typical.

Besides getting some more equipment, you'll have to learn how to hold a mash temperature with your equipment, check for starch conversion, and worry about sparge and mash water volumes / temperatures. It sounds like lots, but it's not too complicated.

There's nothing wrong with doing extract batches, if you're happy, keep doing them. If you want to move into all grain, start reading and getting equipment. I wouldn't get the grains yet though.

The bulk buys happen fairly frequently, so if you decided to go all grain it wouldn't be long before you could get in on a deal. If you go all grain, you'll find that even buying from the homebrew store, you're going to be saving money over extract.

Good Luck!

That said, is it advisable for a "new" brewer to start buying large quantities of grain? I'm assuming that this would need to be moistened to germinate, then dried and cracked, or have those things already been done?
Finally, a much larger question - is all grain brewing just a more time-consuming process, or is it a significant learning curve? A 50 pound bag could get me a long way in this hobby, but I'm wondering if it would be "safer" to continue heading to the homebrew store and buying one recipe at a time.

Thanks!

You won't need to germinate/dry the grain, that's already been done and is what makes it malt. You will need to mill the grain before using it in a mash. I use a friends mill, and maybe the LHBS will let you use theirs with your own grain.

I do mostly partial mashes and use 4 to 6 lb. of base malt for a 5 gal. batch, so one 50# bag of base should get me 10 batches at about half the price of buying by the pound at the store. ($0.80 vs. $1.50/lb. in Boulder)

I'm assuming that this would need to be moistened to germinate, then dried and cracked, or have those things already been done?
Thanks!

What you are describing is the malting process. I'm mostly reiterating what the other users have said, but note in the order spreadsheet there are columns marked "unmalted" (nobody has ordered any of these yet). These are the only ones you would need to malt. Very few brewers do this, and it's a very advanced topic. If you just order the malted 2row or pils you won't need to do anything but crush it, and CMC may even deliver it pre-crushed for you if you ask.

Thanks a lot for your replies. I'm definitely excited about this hobby, though I've still got about a month before I can taste my first efforts.

New member here, I will put in my order today. Just one question when we send a check to CMC will we need to put our handle from this site on the check? Just wondering how they know who is who? Sorry if this has been answered already. Also thanks for putting this together this is a great opportunity to get some malt at a good price!

ere109 depends how quickly you get into it and how bad you want to get to all-grain brewing. Extract does make some great beers but if you're already doing partial mash, it sounds like you want to take the next step. I don't know about your current equipment set-up but you could start brewing all-grain with the addition of a 5 or 10 gallon converted cooler for under a 100 bucks. There are threads on here on making one of those. What size brewpot do you have now? You'll need another for strike/sparge water then do the boil in your existing pot. All-grain brewing does take longer but its well worth it in my opinion as you have more control, and frankly I'm still amused when I get to the boil stage and think back to this is the point to where I started when extract brewing. I use the additional time of getting strike water to temp and mash time to get all my other stuff organized like cleaning/sanitizing carboy's and plate chiller, getting my hop additions measured and ready for the boil, etc. There is a lot of waiting around which you can fill up with productive stuff. My longest wait is heating up my strike water (I do 10 gal batches so can take an hour), and waiting on the mash (typically an hour).

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I will be in Boston until Sunday night, the 8th. I'd really like to get in on this. Would it be okay to get it on Monday, two days late? I guess this is a question for who's house it will be dropped off at.

Thanks everyone

Sure enough no problem. I work from home so anyone can stop by almost anytime time. Everything will be safe from the weather in my garage.

gridstorm said:
I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I will be in Boston until Sunday night, the 8th. I'd really like to get in on this. Would it be okay to get it on Monday, two days late? I guess this is a question for who's house it will be dropped off at.

Thanks everyone

Thanks for getting this group buy set up again. I made some great beers with the last one.

Looking forward to May 7th.

In for 150lbs of pale. Thanks for setting this up, and a huge thanks for having the pick-up on the weekend for us brewers who dont live in the city.

Chromados

Hi Guys! We are five days out on locking down the spreadsheet. After 5pm this upcoming Monday (April 25th) you will not be able to add to or otherwise change your order. Please get your last minute changes, if any, in ASAP. Our current order is closing in on three tons of grain being delivered. Wow!!!

I just talked to Jason at CMC again today to firm some things up. He is expecting a drop-off time between 2:00 and 2:30pm on Saturday, May 7th at Dahoov's house in Centennial. Dahoov, can we get an address for your place?

I have had several questions about payment. After the spreadsheet is locked down, please send a check to:

Colorado Malting Company
ATTN: Jason Cody
P.O. Box 653
Alamosa, CO, 81101

On the note line on the check, please write: "HBT Group Buy: Username". The username here should match the line in our spreadsheet. Once the check clears, your grain goes on the truck.

If you are unable to wait to send your check due to travel etc., you may begin sending them in now, and use the current total displayed in the spreadsheet. Your total may go up or down a few cents as the overall order changes the per-bag shipping cost, but Jason is alright with it if you're a few cents short. In return don't expect to get a few cents back if you overpay...

Just on a side note, Jason mentioned that CMC was forced to raise grain prices again after our group buy received its quote, and that there would be a number of (commercial) brewers out there jealous of the price we're getting.

Dahoov,

May 7th IS Big Brew Day. I will be participating in the Brew-in at Rock Bottom South. If it is okay with you, I will stop by either Sunday or during the following week to pick up the grain from you.

Dahoov,

May 7th IS Big Brew Day. I will be participating in the Brew-in at Rock Bottom South. If it is okay with you, I will stop by either Sunday or during the following week to pick up the grain from you.

Certainly. I actually think it might be better if we stagger out when people arrive. I don't know how my neighbors would feel about the addition of 30 cars and a large enclosed trailer to the "hood" all at once.

Dahoov, can we get an address for your place

Address is 19870 E. Tufts Dr., Centennial, CO 80015.

Copy paste that into maps.google.com and you will see the front of my house in the "Street View".

We should probably have at least 6 guys here for Jason's arrival to help unload. 6000 lbs of grain and no fork lift should be a good workout. Since it is probably a 5 hour drive we should probably try to get Jason back on the road for home. Any volunteers?

These are just my thoughts, and I don't want to interfere with dooblibop's efforts with the logistics.

By the way, I have to work on Saturday so depending how busy the office is I may be on the phone much of the day, but I am planning to set up a desk in the garage.

If anyone wants to contact me directly email is dahoov at gmail dot com and my mobile phone is seven two zero - nine eight nine - seven seven seven five.

I look forward to meeting some of the local brewers, SLAINTE!!

We should probably have at least 6 guys here for Jason's arrival to help unload. 6000 lbs of grain and no fork lift should be a good workout. Since it is probably a 5 hour drive we should probably try to get Jason back on the road for home. Any volunteers?

These are just my thoughts, and I don't want to interfere with dooblibop's efforts with the logistics.

No interference :) I'll be there to help unload. I'm looking forward to meeting you and Jason and all the other hbt'ers. Thanks again for the use of your place!

Just added my order. Dahoov, I know others have asked this, now it's my turn. I will be out of town that weekend but will be able to pick it up on Tuesday. Please let me know if this will be fine. Thanks

Just added my order. Dahoov, I know others have asked this, now it's my turn. I will be out of town that weekend but will be able to pick it up on Tuesday. Please let me know if this will be fine. Thanks

Yes, anyone can stop by just about anytime. I work from home so I am usually here.

Dahoov, thank you for hosting the grain. Doobliebop, thanks for handling the business. I'm in to help unload. See you at 2:00 on Saturday.

Hi guys,
I had to send in my check today as I'm leaving on vacation for a while. I rounded up my $77.61 total to $78.00 to allow a bit of 'wiggle room' in case it is needed. Sorry I won't be able to be there to help unload the grain and meet you guys. Big thanks to doobliebop for organizing, Dahoov for hosting and NochEineMassBitte for picking up my grain. :mug:

Thanks for all the hard work doobliebop and Dahoov for making this happen. And a thanks to CMC for hooking us up again with great grains at a great price (pick-up on the weekend makes it much easier on the brewers to the North as well). See you guys on the 7th.

Chromados

Back