Pumpkin Ale Ready to Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchippie

Reaction score
I have a batch of pumpkin ale that is finished with its primary week and it's at the target FG. It was at 1.052 when we put it in the primary bucket and is now at 1.013. We have checked for a couple days now and it has not changed readings. We are using a using a hydrometer. Should we keep it in the bucket for a few more days to make sure it's done fermenting? I would love to get it bottled sooner than planned, but don't want to be too hasty. Any thoughts? :drunk:

Alrighty, I have read lots of other pumpkin reviews and most people had their beers setting for 4 weeks or so. But on the other hand I read posts about skipping secondary. Sometimes it can be cloudy figuring things out.

I WILL say though that if you used real pumpkin in the boil, then you should use a secondary. I tried the month long primary with a pumpkin ale with real pumpkin and it was a nightmare bottling it.

Well I did use real pumpkin, but I kept it in a bag during the boil. Unfortunately I dont have a carboy so I can't see how much is settled to the bottom. I would like to avoid nightmares if possible.

did an extract + canned pumpkin and a all grain with canned pumpkin and didn't have issues after 4 weeks in primary. I did both as a mash though, not in the boil directly

This is my first pumpkin ale, next time I brew it I may try putting the pumpkin without the bag, maybe in large chunks.

Back