Us-o5?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshivit-brew

Reaction score
How is us-o5 in a simple mead? Thinking of doing joes with apple juice in place of water and pitching O5. Have not made much mead and could use some advice thanks

I used US-05 in a Nugget (Hop) methiglin, I was pretty pleased: fermentation and clearing were quick, hop flavor came through well, no hot alchohols (I was only looking for 11%). The apple juice should help some, but nutrients will still be key, make sure your gravity doesnt go past the abilities of the yeast and it should be fine.

I've used US-05 to ferment out a light cyser. I took mine to %10 but I think it will go up to around %12. It took mine about 2 months to ferment because I didn't use any nutrients/energizer. By using nutrients and SNA the ferment will go faster and finish in about 2-3 weeks. Do you have a hydrometer and have you used the honey spread sheet in the FAQ?

click on the mead forum here and look at the sticky's from hightest.

It's a good resource!

I haven't made meads with US-05, but I imagine the result would be great for a ~10% mead!

I've made a mead (again, around 10%) with Wyeast 1056, which is essentially the same thing. I fermented at room temp, which pushed up the fruity esters from the beer yeast. Came out very nice.

When I used US-05 the end result was very tasty. I used orange blossom honey and it had a very strong orange blossom honey taste. It turned out better than any of the other batches I have done with wine yeast (71b, D47, K1V1116) It was completely dry but had a sweet taste. I ruined it when I carbed it trying to use more honey and champaign yeast. I'm trying this cyser again this fall with cider from the mill and I'm not going to carb unless someone lets me use their keg setup to force carb.

Why couldn't you just use corn sugar to carb just like beer? I know champaign is high carb but couldn't you just add 6 or 7oz and go on the upside of the scale for beer? I have wondered this.

Why couldn't you just use corn sugar to carb just like beer? I know champaign is high carb but couldn't you just add 6 or 7oz and go on the upside of the scale for beer? I have wondered this.

Because when you use beer yeast, you're likely at or above the yeast's alcohol tolerance; so if your yeast is dead, there's nothing left to eat the priming sugar...

I ruined it when I carbed it trying to use more honey and champaign yeast. I'm trying this cyser again this fall with cider from the mill and I'm not going to carb unless someone lets me use their keg setup to force carb.

I though I would update this post. I let the bottles sit for a month more and broke them out for The Wall show before and after parties. The OB honey taste was back and people were loving it. High carbination is nice with US-05 Cysers :fro:

What kind of fermentation did you guys get? Mine has been slow unlike when using It in beer were it takes off big time

Back