Off to Munich!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Well, I managed to rack 6 gallons of Cabernet Sauvignon and keg 5 gallons of Bavarian Hefeweizen before leaving today. The Hefe will be carbed and ready for me when I return.

It's off to Munich & Augsburg for a about 11 days, then to Shannon, Ireland for a few more before returning.

It's sad that I won't be able to brew for about 2 1/2 weeks, sniff, sniff, but somehow I think I will manage. I hate traveling this time of year, but work requires it.

Anyway, I'll take some pics of beers and food and post'em here.

I wonder how much weight I'll gain?...:D

Aufwiedersehen!

orfy said:
Enjoy. Wave when you pass.

Did you see the big Continental plane? I was waving! I'm in Amsterdam waiting for my connection to Munich.

Nice Avatar. I've frequented the Hob Goblin in Reading a number of times. Had some fantastic real Ales there and almost got booted out for forgetting to turn off my cell phone.

Klainmeister said:
I'm coming to Munich on the 11th! You won't be there anymore?!

Leider nicht. Shade!

I'm off to the land of Guinness on the 9th. It will be a nice change after so many Weissbiers. :cross:

I have to say, Marriott Rocks. I checked into my hotel this evening here in Munich and there was a box on the little table. Hmmm, I wondered. What the hell is this.

I opened it up and found this along with a note from the hotel welcoming me back to Germany. Cheese and crackers! They really know how to suck up! It almost brought tears to my eyes. Sniff. They obviously don't do this for everyone, so they must have looked at my bar bill from my last stay. :cross:

MarriottGift.jpg

EdWort said:
I wonder how much weight I'll gain?...:D

Aufwiedersehen!

I went back to Scotland last year and was putting weight on at over a kilo a week! Was there for 5 weeks and put on 6kilos :tank:

If you go a little south of Muenchen, try to find any beers by a brewery called Kaltenberg. Their Helles and Koenig Ludwig Dunkel will blow your mind.

Brewsmith said:
Ed, I see you're on the board. How's it over there so far?
It's cool and foggy. I went to Augsburg today and am back in the hotel to work on my training material for tomorrow morning. Then it's off to dinner and a few Weihenstephan Weissbiers.

Saturday is supposed to be sunny. I'll head downtown to the Weihnachtsmarkt to check things out, have a few Weissbiers and perhaps a döner or two.

EdWort said:
It's cool and foggy. I went to Augsburg today and am back in the hotel to work on my training material for tomorrow morning. Then it's off to dinner and a few Weihenstephan Weissbiers.

Saturday is supposed to be sunny. I'll head downtown to the Weihnachtsmarkt to check things out, have a few Weissbiers and perhaps a döner or two.
The Rathaus (and Ratskeller) is right across the street next to the Perlach Turm. The statur/fountain of Augustus Caesar is interesting as well as the Hercules Brunn down the street. Behind the Rathaus check out the Fuggerei. It's pretty famous, named after Jakob Fugger. The Fugger and Welscher museums are nice also. As is the Roman museum not far away for the Chritmasmarket.

Viel spass!!

Ok, last night I headed into town and stopped into JW Augustiner Brauhaus. This place caters to locals and not the tourists. They've been brewing beer since 1328. It's hard to believe they are going on 700 years of brewing nectar of the gods.

Here's a shot from sitting at the bar looking at the entrance. It's covered in Hops.

JWAugustiner1.jpg

Here the bartender pouring another glass of Augustiner Helles. I asked him if the barrel was real since I thought it was nothing more than a fancy German Jocky Box.

JWAugustiner2.jpg

He said it was real and to prove it to me, he showed me his backup stock. This brings "Kegging" to a new level.

JWAugustiner3.jpg

After that, I headed over to the Hofbrau Haus to check on a couple from Cincinnati that I ran into on the train. I had to tell them I ran into another guy from Cinci where I was drinking. What a small world. I don't care much for the Hofbrau beer and neither does the big guy in the middle of this picture. He was sitting next to me at Augustiner drinking beer & pear schnapps before his gig.

HofbrauBand.jpg

It was a fun evening. Now I'm faced with a weekend here. I'm going to head up the the Weihenstephan brewery tomorrow to see if they have any tours.

Klainmeister said:
where is that brewery? i'd like to visit it next week. it looks delicious!
It is catty corner to the Hofbrau Haus and across from the Munich Hard Rock.

Here's the web site (the english version)
http://www.augustiner-am-platzl.de/english.htm

I'm heading back there for dinner. They have their own in house butcher shop and their beer tastes great and is priced right (2.40 euros per .5L compared to 4.00 euros elsewhere).

I have to choose this thread for my first post. I was over there for Oktoberfest this year. What a party... it was amazing. The next time anyone is over there, you have to get to Andechs Monastery.

When I was in Muenchen, it was nothing more than a day-trip. I think we took the S-bahn to the end of the line and then a bus to the monastary. GREAT beer... GREAT food. The monks there have been around since 1455.

I highly recommend it. Klainmeister is right about the Koenig Ludwig as well... so tasty.

minisvlad said:
I highly recommend it. Klainmeister is right about the Koenig Ludwig as well... so tasty.

I've had Ludwig that I bought in the store in Illinois and it was pretty tasty. I can only imagine how good it would be fresh.

minisvlad said:
I have to choose this thread for my first post. I was over there for Oktoberfest this year. What a party... it was amazing. The next time anyone is over there, you have to get to Andechs Monastery.

When I was in Muenchen, it was nothing more than a day-trip. I think we took the S-bahn to the end of the line and then a bus to the monastary. GREAT beer... GREAT food. The monks there have been around since 1455.

I've been to Andechs many times. Love their beer and the crowd. I've stayed in a farmhouse many times just south of there in Kochel am See.:D

Back