BeerSmith Mash Out question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
Below are two mash profiles in BeerSmith. Since the first doesn't say "no mash out" I assume that batch sparge 1 is the mash out. Is that right? Also, does that first round mean you add the 1.6g to the tun after 75min or does it mean you first drain THEN add the 1.6g to the tun (which results in 3 drains instead of two).

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
2 min Mash Ingredients
Mash In: Add 11.25 qt of water at 164.7 F
75 min - Hold mash at 150.0 F for 75 min
-- Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 1.60 gal of 168.0 F water.
-- Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 3.33 gal of 168.0 F water.

Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
2 min Mash Ingredients
Mash In: Add 11.25 qt of water at 164.7 F
75 min - Hold mash at 150.0 F for 75 min
-- Sparge with 4.93 gal of 168.0 F water.

In the first one the 1.6 gallons for the first sparge is your mash out. Pour in the mash out water before you drain. It simply raises the temp and stops the mash. I've found that skipping the mash out and simply doing the second option works for me. I would also suggest you divide the sparge volumes in half and do two batch sparges.

In the first option you add the 1.6 gallon then drain, then you add the 3.33 and drain again. In the second option you drain first, then add the 4.93 gallons and drain again. The key difference between the two techniques is simply draining the mash and collecting the initial running right after the completion or adding a small amount of hot water first before draining the initial running. What hammy is suggesting is you use the second option and divide that into two sparges. For example, at the end of your mash you would drain your mash tun, add about 2.5 gallons of water, drain that, then add about another 2.5 gallons and drain for a third time. You do not add hot water before draining the initial running.hope this helps:mug:

Latest posts

Back