HERMS/RIMS Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
1.) Do you mash in as per usual using brewsmith etc to calculate strike temps and volumes and then circulate automatically when the temp drops ?

Or do you mash in to a lower temp and then increase to desired temp ?

If the former is correct I guess you'd still be faced with a possible too high mash temp that I find happens from time to time.

2.) How do you prevent a stuck sparge with a flow rate of 4L per minute compared to regular sparge rate of 1L per minute ?
3.) Do you use a manifold as per a regular MLT manifold at the bottom of a HERMS MLT ?

1.) cold dough-in, direct heat to rest temp, heated recirculation through rest period.

2.) Valves

3.) I have a RIMS with a center set siphon tube.

1.) How long does it take to get to rest temp ? I assume you start the 60min mash time from the time it reaches temp ?

2.) What kind of valve / how ? I assume not getting stuck with such a high flow rate has alot to do with the manifold / centre set syphon pipe ?
Can you provide more detail please ? A picture says a 1000 words :)

1.) About 10 minutes on medium high flame. Yes, the mash rest starts when I hit my target rest temp and the controller takes over.

2.) Ball valve on the outflow plumbing from the pump. i also have a full cover false bottom.

Pictures and a thousand words. I bought but, anyone can build.

1.) Thats quicker than I thought.
Thanks.
I toying with the idea of buidling one. Is there any reason you decided on RIMS instead of HERMS ?

I didn't like the idea of having to keep another 10+ gallons of water at temp through the mash for temp maintenance.

I got to brew on a 20 gallon HERMS B3 system and didn't like it. So, I bought the SABCO.

Unless you have a specific reason for stepping up to rest temps, I'd prefer to undershoot by a few degrees and let the recirc heating system correct it. I'm leaning towards RIMS tube myself.

Unless you have a specific reason for stepping up to rest temps, I'd prefer to undershoot by a few degrees and let the recirc heating system correct it. I'm leaning towards RIMS tube myself.

On the BM it's the opposite. You overshoot by 5 degeres and then let the system balance itself out to temp and the HE kicks in to maintain.

Back