RTD Wire Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigscience

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on replacing the wire on the RTDs from Auberins? The wire that came with them seems pretty cheesy and is so thin it won’t even clamp down in the disconnect. Home Despot has some 18/3 rubber coated (think extension cord/power tool cord) I was looking at but I’m not sure how it would do around the heat. I thought I saw someone’s system that had some nice braided cable but now I can’t find the post.

My understanding was that the 3rd wire compensates in longer runs and that there is no need to use a specific type of wire. From Omega:

An RTD is inherently a 2-wire device, but lead wire resistance can drastically reduce the accuracy of the measurement by adding additional, uncompensated resistance into your system. Most applications therefore add a third wire to help the circuit compensate for lead wire resistance, and thus provide a truer indication of the measured temperature.

If you look here, it doesn't even talk about the wire (only stranded or not) and talks more about the insulation.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=EXGG-2CU_3CU_WIRE&Nav=temh06

Any other thoughts for our application of this technology?

For some reason, I thought you were extending wires. It's a jobsite hazard of mine.:drunk: The purpose of the extension wire is to compensate for the length of lead wires. If you use any ole type of wire it will have a different temperature coefficient. The wire resistance changes with temperature. If you use a different type the resistance will not be the same as the lead wire and give you an inaccurate reading. If you use the same wire from the RTD to transmitter you should be OK.

For some reason, I thought you were extending wires. It's a jobsite hazard of mine.:drunk: The purpose of the extension wire is to compensate for the length of lead wires. If you use any ole type of wire it will have a different temperature coefficient. The wire resistance changes with temperature. If you use a different type the resistance will not be the same as the lead wire and give you an inaccurate reading. If you use the same wire from the RTD to transmitter you should be OK.

So what I'd like to do is totally replace the wire that came with the RTD with new, more burly wire. SO, any Cu 3 conductor wire should work then?

Back