extract to grain conversion help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
I'm making Pastor's Honey golden ale this weekend but I have lots of grain and want to make an AG version of this. The recipe is
61.5 4.00 lbs. Briess DME- Gold America 1.04600 8
7.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.03500 20
15.4 1.00 lbs. Clover Honey Generic 1.03500 0
15.4 1.00 lbs. Clover Honey Generic 1.03500 0

What type of DME is "Gold America", I can't seem to find it listed anywhere and I'm not sure if I can just use 2-row or if a 2-row with something else would be a better sub.

Thanks

Here is some info from the Briess website, looks like some carapils is the only thing you need to add to the base malt.

80% fermentable. Excellent light-colored pure malt extract. Use alone for light-colored beers, or with specialty malts to brew beers of all styles. Excellent for boosting gravity and yeast propagation.
Ingredients: Base Malt, Carapils® Malt.

What type of DME is "Gold America", I can't seem to find it listed anywhere and I'm not sure if I can just use 2-row or if a 2-row with something else would be a better sub.

Thanks

Gold America is 1 point darker than Light. Most LHBS that i have been to do not cary it, they cary the light, and the stuff that is 1 point darker.

I used Light DMS in my recipee that called for it this weekend, and the color looked right for an irish red. most of your color is going to come from the specialty grains.

Back