Fermentation Times, adding more Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
I have done 3 batches of home brew.

The first batch fermented the entire week in the primary, even a little fermenting in the secondary.

However, my 2nd and 3rd batches were pratically done with fermentation in 2-3 days. Both of these had lower ABV percentages when racking, than did my first batch.

These batches two had an SG reading of 1.018 and 1.016 respectivally, as compared to my first batch which was 1.014. The first batch even dropped to 1.010 before bottling. The OG on both batches were also lower than the first batch. Obviously there must be more fermentables available in there...

My question is can I or should I add pitch more yeast if my airlock stops bubbling after 2-3 days in the primary?

No. But you should wait. Sounds like you are moving the beer too quickly. You may be fermenting kind of warm.

Instead of racking to secondary brew another batch.

鯰  said:
No. But you should wait. Sounds like you are moving the beer too quickly. You may be fermenting kind of warm.

Instead of racking to secondary brew another batch.

I am fermenting at the best temp i can get, around 75 degrees...

how can i be racking too soon if it has been a week in the primary and without bubbles for 4-5 days :( :confused:

doesn't sound like i am racking too soon to me..

i just wondered if adding more yeast to the primary after bubbling stops in 2-3 days was an option. and btw, both batch 2 and 3 started bubbling within hours after pitching my yeast...

Seems to me that adding yeast to a primary or secondary would be like pouring a bucket of water into a pool. The amount of yeast in your primary after vigorous fermenting is amazing.

Stick to the 1-2-3 method? I don't rack to secondary until the krausen falls. Sometimes its 4-5 days (still wait until 7 days) and sometimes its almost two weeks.

Exo said:
Seems to me that adding yeast to a primary or secondary would be like pouring a bucket of water into a pool. The amount of yeast in your primary after vigorous fermenting is amazing.

Stick to the 1-2-3 method? I don't rack to secondary until the krausen falls. Sometimes its 4-5 days (still wait until 7 days) and sometimes its almost two weeks.

so then even though my krausen has fallen and bubbling stopped, there is still plenty of viable yeast left?

the answer must then be that there are no more fermentable sugars left, correct?

and yes, the 1, 2, 3 method is exactly what i have been doing...

From what I've read, even though things slow down, the yeast are still active, fermenting more complex sugars and doing some other work....such as converting by-products of the primary fermentation as well.

Exo said:
From what I've read, even though things slow down, the yeast are still active, fermenting more complex sugars and doing some other work....such as converting by-products of the primary fermentation as well.

ok, thanks...

I've only made 2 batches both are Brewer's Best. They only fermented for 3 days each and all airlock activity ceased. My fermenter is kept at 70°. I bottled the first one on the fourth day and I probably shouldn't have. I've got a lot of settling in the bottles. But no beer bombs yet.

And as the alcohol content rises, the yeast cells have to adapt and slow down.

Back