Experiment: 1 recipe split into 5 different dry yeast fermentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenbirds

Reaction score
I'm designing an experiment to learn about the characteristics imparted by some of the various dry yeasts lying around my refrigerator. I am going to brew one 5-gallon batch, split it into five 1-gallon carboys, and inoculate each with one of the following:

Safale S-04
Safale S-05
Safale S-33
Danstar Nottingham
Danstar Windsor

I will be following Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale recipe. I was considering a single-malt single-hop recipe, but I wanted to learn from a beer that had some malt and hop complexity like most beers we drink.

This won't be ultra-scientific, as some of the yeasts vary in their use-by dates (they are 3-12 months away, have been in the fridge), but I figure since I'm pitching into 1-gallon batches there will be plenty of viability.

And there is my question. Is pitching a full packet too much? I know it's hard to overpitch, but that's like dumping 5 sachets into a low gravity 5 gallon batch. I'm considering 1/3 to 1/2 of an 11 gram sachet per gallon (have a kitchen scale). I won't be rehydrating, because I'm too lazy to do that with 5 separate yeasts, and I figure the extra yeast will ensure viability anyhow.

Please let me hear your thoughts.

It has been 22 days since I brewed and innoculated. I used the 5 yeasts listed above + I added Cooper's.

This beer was mashed for an hour at 157 F. Overshot the gravity in the recipe by a good bit (1.041 vs 1.037), but then miscalculated my dilution, which gave me about 5.5 gallons of 1.033 wort. Whoops! Anyhoo, they fermented at 66 F, yet the S-33 and Nottingham appear to be not quite finished, so I am letting them go a few more days until they are completely still, like the others.

Current gravities are as follows:
S-04: 1.015
S-05: 1.014
S-33: 1.016
Nottingham: 1.016
Windsor: 1.017
Coopers: 1.014

Mighty high FG's considering the low OG and the massive amount of yeast I pitched (about 5g per 1gal carboy).

I gave them a preliminary tasting, which I will update once they are in the bottle and fully carbed. It goes without saying that these ~2.5% alcohol beers are pretty thin, but there is some body there from the dextrins produced by the high mash temperature.

S-04: Faint roasty aroma. Taste some sweetness, coffee.
S-05: Strange, bready aroma. I've only used this yeast for APA's and IPA's, so I don't know if there is a problem, or if I'm just not used to what S-05 imparts to this type of beer. Taste is kinda like 2-row malt & husks, not good, but not bad.
S-33: Fruity aroma, nice taste, balanced between fruity and roasty.
Nottingham: Slightly bready, grainy, toasty smell, taste follows suit. Good.
Windsor: Very strange smell, I suspect brett infection or something funky. Some astringency in the finish. Not good.
Coopers: Strong fruity aroma with some vanilla notes! Interesting and very different from the others. Taste is also fruity with a slight roasty character.

Back