5 gallon primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylornate

Reaction score
Is there any reason not to use a 5 gallon carboy with a blowoff as a primary? It would be cool to be able to see what is going on, and a 5 would give me more bang for my buck if I could use it for either primary or secondary.

I'm using a five gallon Better Bottle as a primary right now.

However, it is a four gallon batch. I brewed it for my new 3 gallon keg. Any left over will go into 2 liter bottles.

Personally, I don't like blow off tubes. I consider them a waste of good beer.

I use 5 gal carboys and blow off tubes sometimes. It can cost some beer espescially for big beers. But I haven't experienced large losses. Still I like a 6 or 6 1/2 for primary better.

yea if you are talking about a 5 gallon bucket i would say dont do it. its not worth the risk of blowing the load to the ceiling. If you use a 5 gallon your airlock and/or blowoff could get clocked and thats no fun.

Save the 5 gallon buckets for Alpfenwein :mug:

Edit - Just saw the carboy but my statement stands :drunk:

Is there any reason not to use a 5 gallon carboy with a blowoff as a primary? It would be cool to be able to see what is going on, and a 5 would give me more bang for my buck if I could use it for either primary or secondary.

Use foam control, and any blow-off will be minimal. It's cheap and effective.

yea if you are talking about a 5 gallon bucket i would say dont do it. its not worth the risk of blowing the load to the ceiling. If you use a 5 gallon your airlock and/or blowoff could get clocked and thats no fun.

Save the 5 gallon buckets for Alpfenwein :mug:

Edit - Just saw the carboy but my statement stands :drunk:

I wouldn't think there would be any risk of a 1" blowoff clogging.

true but stranger things have happened. My brother uses my old 5 gallon and hasn't had any problems. I just know i lived in fear sometimes, especially with higher gravity. Nothing happened though

You should be fine for most beers. Maybe when you are getting up there with the bigger beers, you might want to sleep with one eye open... and some cleaning supplies.

+1 on using the 5 gallon carboys for Apfelwein. However, I'm also using my 5 gal as a lagering secondary in the garage.

I have generally used 5gal glass carboys for primary, and generally lose a beer's worth out the blowoff. This is probably a habit since my first garage sale carboy was a 5gal in 1989 or so.

BN: you will likely still need a blowoff with apfelwein if you use a beer yeast.

Back