Join the club!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor

Reaction score
If you have not already done so, I want to encourage new brewers to join their local homebrew club. Our recent meeting reminded me of how enjoyable an experience it can be, and how much one can learn from the wisdom and experience of others.

I've been brewing for the past 4 months or so, and have come to love it. Because it came with a 10% discount at my local homebrew store, I joined a local homebrew club, North Texas Home Brew Association (www.nthba.com). I quickly learned that there are so many good reasons to belong to such a club, reasons beyond the discount.

For example, this week we had our monthly meeting. About 30-40 souls came to an Italian BYOB eatery north of Dallas, and many folks brought their homebrewed beer and wine. In the course of a few hours, I had tasted perhaps 20 homebrewed wines and beers, and learned a little bit about each one in the process. My tablemates, two guys who started brewing together about 18 months ago, were a wealth of information on their brewing, techniques, recipes and the like. They were also a lot of fun. And, for the first time, I was able to share my own homebrew, which was well received.

Never once was I shunned as a newbie, or put off by those more experienced. As I suspect is typical of homebrew clubs, the people are a really good group. The capper is that my wife is completely supportive of me participating in a club, even one focused on beer. Can you say ya-hoo?! I never considered participating in contests, but with the encouragement of this group, I may do so before the year is out.

In addition to meetings, where beer is sampled, issues discussed, party and contest plans worked, there are lots of activities. The club promotes contests, internal and around the state. There are brew days at various members' homes around the year, where you can either brew or learn about brewing process from those participating. Parties are scheduled regularly. It is, in short, a tremendous social and educational experience.

The point of all this is to strongly encourage you to join a local club, wherever you are. They can be tremendous teachers, bring friends into your life, and help you become the best brewer you can be. Your local club is probably cheap, so there is little risk. I hope this nudges at least a few of you toward your local clubs, or perhaps to organizing your own club (lots of guidance and support out there for doing so!) You won't be disappointed.

Thor said:
Never once was I shunned as a newbie, or put off by those more experienced. As I suspect is typical of homebrew clubs, the people are a really good group.

Sam75 and I had a very similar experience at our local homebrewing club the first time we went as well. Very friendly people and LOTS of beer and mead being passed around.

I don't attend many of the meetings because of my work schedule and the commute, but I agree it is a great way to learn about the hobby and meet people.

I'd probably be more active in our club if it was closer (in fact I've considered starting a more local club actually). I second this to everyone--join your local club, it is worth it.

My local HBS is is having a beginner/intermediate get together
the end of this month.

I look forward to meeting some others in the area.

My first batch will just be ready for a test about that time.

Bottling it today.

I used to belong to our local club - MUGZ.

I won Best of Show and first place in style (German Hefe Weizen) in the '97 Land of Muddy Waters Homebrew contest. But then I moved to NC (June '97) for about 2 years then went to Germany for 5 more (Feb '99 - Feb '04).

I recommend them as a great source of information and comraderie. It's also good for sharing your recipes and getting feedback on your brews.

I am not against clubs, but I don't belong to one because I am always on the road.

When I was a member I never could attend any of the meetings because of conflicting schedules and such.

As for the benefit of a discount for purchases, I usually do most of mine on-line.

Hey Thor, that's a great idea. But FYI the link you provided goes to the N. Texas Home Builders Association. Good info, but not what I was hoping for :) I found the N. Texas Homebrewers Association link, but the website seems to be down. Where are they based out of? I'm in Wichita Falls. The local HBS has a very informal club (no officers/club dues/etc). http://www.txhomebrew.com/index.html

I belong to two clubs, neither truly local. The Oregon Brew Crew meetings are typically 1 1/2 hours each way and the Heart of the Valley meetings are an hour or more. Most months, I'll get to one or the other. I certainly enjoy them. Last spring, one of the HoV members was handing out rhyzomes that he thought were cascades.

I have to agree with Thor. I went to my first homebrew club meeting last night. I was a bit nervous and didn't know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised by the warm greetings I received. The club asks that everyone bring a few beers for the tasting, so I went ahead and brought a couple bottles of my first brew. Unfortunately I was mid pack in terms of passing mine around, so I was fortunate enough to sample some really good brews prior to introducing mine (made me a little self conscious). However, I explained to everyone that I was a new brewer, this was my very first brew and I was interested in some good, constructive feedback. Thankfully, everyone was decent, I received many good comments, but more importantly, I received a ton of good advice.

Amongst the members are a couple of BJCP judges, someone who has been to school for brewing arts and a commercial craft brewer. There were also folks there with many years of experience in brewing. As you can imagine, I received a wealth of good advice and information.

Most importantly though, I discovered a really great group of folks who share my obsession.

I would also strongly encourage everyone to join a club. If you are in the Castle Rock/Parker/South side of Denver, check out www.rockhoppersbrewclub.com.

I'm going to my first club meeting today. Can't wait, yippee.

We're to bring something for a raffle (a book, some canned fruit, whatever), something for afternoon tea, some home brew if you want to enter a competition and our own glass if we want to do tastings.

Registration is 50 cents and entering a competition is 20 cents. The raffle tickets are a dollar. The money goes towards a club event like a dinner or whatever.

Also, they have a sushi competition today so people will be bringing and sampling sushi.

Sounds like a lot of fun to me (even though I don't eat sushi)... sounds like I can expect a lot of variety. :D

Edit: Oh, and because home brewing spirits is legal in New Zealand there will be home brew wine, beer and spirits to try. Yay for NZ. ;)

Back