Bottling with Brett B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewtastic

Reaction score
So I'm planning a psuedo-belgian pilsner style beer, almost saison like but not quite. I'm planning on using all pilsner malt and a whole bunch of brewer's gold hops. I want to get a little of brett character in there too. I was planning on adding some Brett B at bottling for some of the wet horse blanket flavor.

How much extra can I expect the brett to clean up the beer? I was planning on doing initial fermentation on the Wyeast French Saison 3711. And it attenuates really well (typically down to 1.011 on a low mash).

Would I need to add sugar at bottling with the brett? Or will the remaining sugars be enough? Or should I let the brett hang out for a bit before bottling and then prime as usual?

Let the brett do its job in the fermentor. Once its completely finished, bottle with fresh priming sugar (this can take awhile). Brett can be super-attenuative and may give you unpredictable carbonation results; its tough to estimate how low it will go, and you can easily end up with overcarbed beers.

If I use a super attenuative yeast for primary fermentation, how long can I expect the Brett to take to dry it out?

Well, I have made very dry beers in the past and pitched brett C at bottling to do exactly what you are looking for, horse blanket flavor. It is a very interesting progression. One beer was a Biere de Garde, that was amazingly clean and crisp at bottling and for a month or so after bottle conditioning. Somewhere around the 1-1.5 months mark, beers bottled with brett take on a more bretty flavor and my findings show it plateau's at around the 4-5 month mark. There is still some flavor development at that point and forward, but it is much slower. Just want to point out, when I bottle with Brett, I just pitch a fresh tube into the bottling bucket, no starter. For your recent question, if you dual pitched, sacch and brett together, at primary, it will still be a 3-4 month period for all the flavors to come out, based on what I have seen.

Back